Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

put in new front brake lines; braided steel

Old 01-05-2003, 08:30 PM
AwwsChwA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default put in new front brake lines; braided steel

well...out here in San Diego, Dave Turner Motorsports handles pretty much all the race toys. I ordered a set of braided steel brake lines for my 91 CRX Si, and I ended up with a set for what I think is a CRX DX. The front brake lines fit perfectly, the rear lines are about a third as long as they should be, and don't even have the proper end fitting (no hollow ring that bolts to the caliper). But, at any rate, I am happy with teh front ones.

I got "Techna-Fit" lines...is that how it's spelled? The race shop said those were good equipment. Anyone use em? Anyone have any different steel brake lines? thanks
Old 01-06-2003, 01:57 AM
stephan
:exnbp:

What is involved in changing out the brake lines? Would I need to switch out brake fluids or what not and obviously the brake line? I'm not too sure how the brake system works, but can you please write the steps to switchign to braided lines
Old 01-06-2003, 02:48 AM
jc836

Take your choice on this one as there are only 2 really well known lines--Russell and Goodridge. Want the best they are it. Have Goodridge on the Civic and Prelude. Russel rules our CRX as they had the parts in stock. No offense-but never heard of the brand you have.

You have a set for the rear that actually should be for the 88-89 non-disc brake version of the car (like mine). Take a look at the Russell and Goodridge catalogs online for the correct part numbers.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:56 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

It's really bad for your car to have braided on one part and rubber on the other, puts too much stress on the rubber and they could burst, I would get the rear ones ASAP!

As for changing lines it's ridiculously simple. Each line is connected with one bolt on the caliper and just a screw on fitting to the body. You need to undo that then install the new ones, then bleed your brakes to get all the air out of the lines.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:55 PM
AwwsChwA

Originally posted by FourthGenHatch
It's really bad for your car to have braided on one part and rubber on the other, puts too much stress on the rubber and they could burst, I would get the rear ones ASAP!

Very good point, I didn't think of that. I'm getting the correct rear brake lines this saturday, so shouldn't be a big deal. Oh, and to touch up on the question about swapping brake lines, it is really simple. The only tricky part is the mess, make sure you have a thick plastic tarp or something like that, and make it one you can throw away. Brake fluid will eat through trash bags prety quickly, so its gotta be thick. Oh, and DO NOT get brake fluid on paint!! If you get any on the car, wash it immediately or it'll eat paint just like an eraser removes pencil from paper.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:54 PM
truesmallblock

don't foget about Earls brake lines.. I slightly know the owner of Goodridge so thats the only brake line for me