Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Honda Accord 94-97: Changing Manual Tranny Fluid

Old 02-19-2003, 05:42 PM
dantastic
cx power!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: *How to* Change manual tranny fluid(5th gen Accord)

Originally posted by 94uhkord

3 quarts of your favorite Synthetic blend 10w30 motor oil
ive always heard that its best to use conventional 10w30
Old 02-20-2003, 12:50 AM
TypeSH

Honda switched to recommended MTF over 10w30 for the later years (96-97 perhaps?). so since the tranny's are the same for all years, I think MTF is a better overall solution for any honda tranny, new or old.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:26 AM
.AH.

Is this the same process for AT tanny? And is tranny flush bad for your tranny? If so how?
Old 01-09-2005, 02:35 PM
hch3

nice write up vrgncd5...i happened to be googling around yesterday looking for some info about changing my fluid in my 96 accord and came across your post. after i read the symptons you were having, i immediately ran out and got stuff to change mine. like yours, i had about a shot glass worth of sludge come out. luckily i looked to see what the plugs actually looked like before i bought all of the stuff...my first thought was completely different what it actually is. the breaker bar you suggested did the trick for getting the plugs out. everything was going smoothly until i tried to get the fluid back in. it's a real pain...in fact, i couldnt get any to go back in...seems like it wanted to flow out of the fill plug, but i KNOW it isnt full. maybe i had the hose in it too far? the pump i had was crap, and that could have been part of the problem. what pump did you use for yours??? how long did it take for the fluid to "drain" into the tranny? can you fill it through the vss hole on top? any ideas or suggestions...anybody?

oh yeah, ihave about .5 quarts in there now...ugh...but it's more than i had before. :P
Old 04-10-2005, 01:01 PM
xDeLiRiOuSx

Thanks so much for the post. This helped me a lot. Basically I had a crack on the bottom of my trans. The mechanic saids go buy a new one! I even got the part ready for pick up from the junkyard. Then I remember I saw a thread about changing manual fluid. I decided to read it in more detail and drain my oil, then I can JB weld the crack and then put oil back in. Woah it works! (so far)

But there's one thing I'd like to add to your post, there is actually another drain bolt. It's all the way at the bottom of transmission. It's a 3/8" square lug too. I opened it and found 2 quarts of oil coming out. So the 1/2" square is not really the drain, maybe it's there for another reason?

I used 10w30 (2.5 quarts) and it works great. A cheap 10 pump from pep boys works. Get a pump with a small pipe (1/4" or less, smaller the better), that way you can put the pipe right into fill port (tiny hole on the upper left of the 3/8" square lug opening).

Good luck with changing your fluids all you manual accord owners!

David
Old 04-11-2005, 10:14 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

odd, i thought honda recommends their own MTF?

or pennzoil synchromesh works well (i have yet to try it but i have done research on it) which is also cheaper, yet the same as GM synchromesh.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:08 AM
bigt61

But there's one thing I'd like to add to your post, there is actually another drain bolt. It's all the way at the bottom of transmission. It's a 3/8" square lug too. I opened it and found 2 quarts of oil coming out. So the 1/2" square is not really the drain, maybe it's there for another reason?

I've changed tons of fluids in hondas, both auto and manual trans.

The 3/8 square lug hole on the passengers side, very bottom of the transmission is the ACTUAL drain plug. It is even slightly magnetic, to catch metal particles flowing through your transmission. You should take that out to drain the transmission fluid.

There are several ways to refill your transmission.

1. through the speed sensor
2. through the check transmission fluid dipstick on automatic trans
3. through another 3/8 inch or 1/2 inch fill plug- located on MANUAL trans only- at the top of the tranny casing.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:11 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

Originally Posted by bigt61

I've changed tons of fluids in hondas, both auto and manual trans.

The 3/8 square lug hole on the passengers side, very bottom of the transmission is the ACTUAL drain plug. It is even slightly magnetic, to catch metal particles flowing through your transmission. You should take that out to drain the transmission fluid.

There are several ways to refill your transmission.

1. through the speed sensor
2. through the check transmission fluid dipstick on automatic trans
3. through another 3/8 inch or 1/2 inch fill plug- located on MANUAL trans only- at the top of the tranny casing.
holy shit, ill drain through that now...