Notices

96 TL Wiper Not working - Need help with diagnosis

Old 01-03-2009, 02:29 PM
David O

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 TL Wiper Not working - Need help with diagnosis

I replaced the wiper motor on this 96 3.2 TL about 4 years ago. About two years ago it stopped working on medium speed. About six months ago it started to wipe more slowly. Then it stopped working in cold weather. Now it won't work at all. Can someone tell me with confidence that it's the motor, and not the relay or some other some electrical problem (or suggest how I can troubleshoot to figure it out?) I have a replacement motor, but if I use it and it doesn't solve the problem, I can't return it.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:25 AM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Originally Posted by David O
I replaced the wiper motor on this 96 3.2 TL about 4 years ago. About two years ago it stopped working on medium speed. About six months ago it started to wipe more slowly. Then it stopped working in cold weather. Now it won't work at all. Can someone tell me with confidence that it's the motor, and not the relay or some other some electrical problem (or suggest how I can troubleshoot to figure it out?) I have a replacement motor, but if I use it and it doesn't solve the problem, I can't return it.

Thanks for your help.
There is no way to know for certain what is causing this until you start replacing each part down the line and see what exactly is causing your wiper failure.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:23 PM
David O

Thanks for the reply. I discovered that although the motor was under the cowling, the cord and electrical connector ran through the firewall into the main engine compartment, where I could easily unplug tho old one, plug in the uninstalled new one, and turn the wiper switch on to confirm the new motor worked. Then I installed it. If it had not worked I could haver just unplugged it and returned it.