Notices
Detailing Forum Advice on detailing from the experts.

DIY at-home paint job advice?

Old 12-23-2008, 01:17 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY at-home paint job advice?

Hey folks, I've been throwing around the idea of painting the civic this summer. It needs body work, and afterwards I'd like to paint it the factory white color, clear coat, etc.

I was just wondering what advice you guys have on how to go about doing this. What kind of compressor will I need (will probably have to rent one), what kind of spray gun will I need? This will likely be done in my brother's garage (or my parents'), so what steps can I take to make a decent booth to protect their garages? Any other thoughts or concerns?

I thought about going the rustoleum route, but I think I'd prefer the paint to match under the hood and in the door jambs, etc. I'm not willing to take the entire car apart to paint it.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:44 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as the rustoleum is white, I'd think it would be a close enough match that you wouldn't noticed the difference unless someone is being an anal douche.

No experience using a proper gun or compressor, but I wouldn't worry too much about their garage. Just as long as it's clean so crap doesn't end up in the paint.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:25 PM
gingas

Post pictures when finished.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:41 AM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also curious.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Dude... Ask Tony (Running25) I've seen threads where he's painted in his garage. Looks like an episode of Dexter with all the clear plastic hanging down the walls. o:

I should have a friend do the body work on my hatch. I know he can do it, and he needs the money. Inspired.