Notices

Help with check engine light

Old 12-28-2002, 01:38 PM
civicplayer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with check engine light

I have a 97 Civic EX (Canadian) and the check engine light came on. I jumped the ecu so the check engine light would flash a code for me. It came up with a code 67 (Catalyst system efficiency below threshold). What could be the cause for this code?
Also, when I jumped the ecu, the ABS light started blinking codes as well. It gave me codes 16, 18, 54, and 61. How do I find out what these codes mean? Do they mean anything?

Thanks for the help
Old 12-29-2002, 06:54 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of my friends with the 6th gen civics have had a lot of catalytic converter problems.. you may need to replace it. You could look into getting a high-flow one or just replace what you have or having a muffler shop clear it out for you (or if it's legal in your area, just get a test pipe made).

I have NO clue about the ABS problem though. Good luck on that one. :thumbup:
Old 12-29-2002, 07:54 AM
Evilkittie
sexygreencivic

my check engine light has been on since the swap. I just ignore it.

Its code 91 (fuel tank pressure sensor ) something to do with fuel mixture... i found out upon investigation that Vtec and non vtec have different fuel tank pressures (believe it or not) so in order to make the check engine light go off, I have to go get a 97 civic EX fuel tank pressure sensor.

Get out the Haynes manual :thumbup: and read
Old 12-29-2002, 07:56 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by sexygreencivic
my check engine light has been on since the swap. I just ignore it.

Its code 91 (fuel tank pressure sensor ) something to do with fuel mixture... i found out upon investigation that Vtec and non vtec have different fuel tank pressures (believe it or not) so in order to make the check engine light go off, I have to go get a 97 civic EX fuel tank pressure sensor.

Get out the Haynes manual :thumbup: and read

What year/model is your car and what swap did you do?
Old 12-29-2002, 07:58 AM
Evilkittie
sexygreencivic

Originally posted by westcoaststyle

What year/model is your car and what swap did you do?
i went from d16y7 ro d16y8 (96 LX - 97 EX)

insurance gave me $2500 for the old engine, i was going to get a loan and make up the difference for a b18 swap, but the shop owner whom did the first engine (i've gone through two) is a f*cktard and didn't ask what i wanted, thought "girls" didn't need an engine with such capabilities.

he was probably mad because my car was going to be faster than his.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:33 AM
6thGenCivic

A catalttic inefficiency code will be set when the number of cross counts for the second o2s exceed a preset limit. See when exhaust first reaches the first o2s it has a varrying high and low oxygen content because the ecm is constantly sending a rich and lean command alternately. when the exhaust passes through the cat the oxygen is theoretically stripped form the NOX in the emissions and added to the co(poison) making co2(harmless) if the second o2s sends a rising and lowering voltage it sets the code for cat inefficiency. this could also be trigged by an exhaust leak but you probably need to replace the cat.
Old 12-29-2002, 12:34 PM
civicplayer

Ok, so the only thing i'm wondering about now is the blinking ABS light. When i jumped the pins, the check engine light and the ABS light were both flashing codes. The ABS light flashed 4 codes all different from the code flashed by the check engine light. Do these codes from the ABS light mean anything??
Old 12-29-2002, 01:50 PM
NeverBX
Snootchie Bootchies!!

the abs codes only mean something if they light was tripped. but whenever you read codes while jumping the ecu the ABS light flashes anyway for no reason i think.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:55 PM
y7civic

I got the same code I just removed the fuse for the ecm and reset the code. The
cell only came back once. After the second time I reset the ecm the code never came back It's been almost two months now.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:41 PM
chronicSMOKE

when your check engine light is on, doesnt your engine run richer? i think it has to do with the fact that if there is really a problem that they dont want the engine to just lean out and stall so it runs super rich. Maybe its just with the o2 sensors though. I put my headers in my 99 accord v6 and the primary o2 sensor wasnt plugged in and when i should have been crusiing at 2,100rpms i was at 2,500rpms. :dunno: