Notices

weird symptoms 96accord. bad gas?

Old 12-09-2008, 10:44 AM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default weird symptoms 96accord. bad gas?

The Sunday after Thanksgiving I was driving in bumper to bumper traffic from mass to nyc and everytime the car would shift gear from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st at exactly 20mph the car would jerk alot until it was above 20mph or below 20mph. I am not sure what is going on there but I had the transmission rebuild almost 2 yrs ago.
Now today I had the car in park and the car started to shake and it almost turn off.
What could it be? I though everything was perfect, the car has no vibration and is in top shape.
I am thinking it could be bad gasoline but what does that have to do with the transmission. I fill up the tank with Mobil 87 going but coming back I use Hess 87 and that's when I noticed the problem.
any ideas?
Old 12-10-2008, 02:08 PM
jH4nd
Honda Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is going to sound really really weird. but i thought i had similar symptoms except mine wasnt at a certain speed, but it did the shakes like you describe. i thought it was a fuel injector problem or idle control valve problem, but come to find out it was an ignition switch problem. ??? i know right?! it seemed to vibrate loose during switching of gears and wouldnt start on occasion, it really felt like my car was gargling garbage in the gas tank but that wasnt it. check it out. i have a 97 accord
Old 12-10-2008, 02:10 PM
jH4nd
Honda Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also thinking of all the coincidences. i thought my problem mainly happened when i would brake and let off the gas, and then i noticed i had switched gas stations lately too... they were just coincidences, i suggest checkin it out!
Old 12-12-2008, 03:28 AM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very interesting. I know there is a recall for the ignition switch on the 5th gen accord.
Thanks J