Notices

2000 Accord LX sedean - prepare for paint

Old 12-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Eagleta2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Accord LX sedean - prepare for paint

Hi Everyone

I have a 2000 Accord LX Sedan that is stock Honda Black and the clearcoat is deteriorated on the hood, roof, fender tops, and doors.

The car only has 78k on it... but no doubt there is paint damage since it lives outdoors in Phoenix. Please keep in mind (as I am) that this is simply a commuter car for me but the damage that shows is now worse than my ego can allow.

I have decided to get a whole car re-paint but could use some help. The plan I have is to de-trim the entire car to get the cleanest job possible. The plan I have is to remove the following and have them painted at the same time:

Front Bumper Cover
Rear Bumper Cover
Driver and Passenger Mirrors
all 4 door handles
Rocker panels
Exterior door trim
washer squirters

I will also remove the following to make it a cleaner job:

Headlights, tailights, all emblems, lock cylinders, hubcaps etc.

What I really could use some help with is removing the following without damaging them.. so I can reinstall

Exterior Window Trims
Windshield Trip
Rear Window Trim
Roof gutter trim

Would someone please post a link on how to do these? or post instructions from Helms?

If it seems like I am going a little overboard.. well I tend to do that AND I really believe that it is human nature to want to do a good job. My gut feel is that when the shop sees the amount of effort that I am going through to get a nice job, the shop will put forth a little extra effort as well.

My goal is to remove any item that touches a surface that will be painted, so only minimal masking is required.

I plan on dropping the car off on 12-22 and will start working on it 12-19.

I appreciate any help that anyone can provide.

Thanks!
Geo

Old 12-08-2008, 06:36 AM
losiglow

Sounds like you're doing a pretty good job. I'm sure it will look good when it's done. Are you getting it painted the same color? I'm of practically no help, I have no idea how to remove those things. Couldn't they just mask over them? Seems like it would be easier than removing.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Eagleta2

Here are the pros/cons I came up with making my decision whether to mask or remove...

When you mask something with a paper based tape, no matter how careful the application, the results wont be ideal and there will be a tape line of built up paint where the tape was removed. This built up edge...even if very small, can allow an opening for corrosion.

The pro's to masking is much less labor, and the potential worry of something going wrong and messing up the new paint job during reassembly (like dropping the mirror on the side of the door when installing). The other thing I am worried about is what if I cant put the door trims and window trims back on after? What about body seals? Should I replace them or attempt to reuse?

I still think the superclean job going with removal outweighs the risks.

THanks in advance for everyones help!

Geo
Old 12-10-2008, 03:27 PM
jH4nd
Honda Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eagleta2
(like dropping the mirror on the side of the door when installing).
Geo
lol sounds like this has happened before. i dont know what grade of a paint job you are going to get but i was told if you are going to a lesser quality paint company that if u get a high grain sandpaper and LIGHTLY go over your car it will result in a better paint job. i was told by a guy who paints car when i told him i was going to a lesser paint company. this just ensures that when they remove your paint it will come out in a better quality. that is the only tip i can give and am virtually no help just as the post above, ha.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Eagleta2

Default Project update

Hi All

I thought I would fill you in on how the paint project is going...:hsd:

I bought the 3 day license to Helm's Manuals online... best $10 I could have spent.:bowdown:

So far this weekend I have removed the following -
  • Wheel Covers
  • Upper window trims (the chrome trim that goes from the bottom of the front window and ends at the rear of the rear window.
  • Rooftop "Gutter" trims
  • Accord Logo and LX Logo from rear
  • Outer glass weatherstrip (Chrome pieces on the outside of doors at bottom of windows)
  • Rocker Panel Molding
  • Washer nozzles
  • Passenger outside mirror
Then I walked around the car and lightly sanded out any deep gouges or scratches. A coupe of these feathered out to bare metal.

Still to take off:
  • Drivers outside mirror
  • Drivers outer glass weatherstrip
  • Front & Rear Bumper
  • Front Accord Logo
  • Headlights
  • Tail lights
I decided to leave the door molding ON... since the car is originally black and they are black plastic... Thought it would look cool to have them painted.

Somewhere around Mid next week I will be able to stop driving the car. Thats when I will pull the lights, bumpers, and everything else.

I have photos - Will post as I get more time

Geo