Notices

2000 Accord Ex - A slew of issues

Old 03-08-2012, 11:08 PM
blackmagic01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Accord Ex - A slew of issues

I purchased a used 2000 Accord Ex a few months ago, and since then a few issues have cropped up.

First, and most annoying, is that sometimes it'll start, and then sputter out. It happens mostly if I have the A/C or heater on during my trip, and if it's not the first time it's been started up that day. For example, I could drive it fine for as long as I want, but when I stop somewhere, and start it up again 15 - 20 minutes later, the engine will turn over, and then it will just die. I can get it to stay "on" if I rev the engine for a while though. When I sit there revving the engine, I can sometimes hear a bubbling sound when the RPMs drop. On a hunch, my dad and I cleaned out the gunk from the EGR valve a while back, but that didn't stop the problem.

Second, at speeds between 40 and 55, it seems to get stuck between gears. It'll shift up and then drop back down a gear until I either go faster or ease of the gas. This is the problem that's got me most worried. The tranny problems I've read about didn't seem to match my exact problem, so I don't know where to start with this either.

And lastly, my cruise control doesn't work. Not really an issue for me, so I never really looked into it, but I figured it was worth noting.

Any suggestions or ideas to troubleshoot/fix these problems would be awesome. I really don't want to think my car is about to become a shiny paperweight.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:48 PM
robbiebravo50

Sorry to hear u have a slew of problems with ur recent purchase. I would start with the IAC valve, sometimes just
clean it out with carb cleaner for the first cheap try. A mechanix with a engine analizer should be better to locate the problem
Also check ur transmission computor before going nuts into a tranny job. Again an analizer would detect a this problem assuming its
a automatic
Old 03-18-2012, 10:23 PM
dalen2000

Sorry to hear u have a slew of problems.