Notices

Distributor issue

Old 11-15-2008, 06:20 PM
bej31705

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor issue

I have a 95 accord LX, the heater hose had split open, so I had to unbolt the distributor to replace it. The car would not crank afterwards, I had checked the terminals on the battery and they were pretty nasty so I cleaned them off. The car will crank but will not fire up, it simply turns over a couple times, skips and starts back. How would I go about fixing this and would this be cause by the distributor?
Old 11-16-2008, 05:21 AM
Cousin It

Did you loosen the disributor itself and allow it to turn or did you completely remove the distributor?

If you loosened the distributor and allowed it to turn then your timing is probably off to the point where it wont turn over. Simply rotating it and finding the point where the car starts (rough adjustment), then shooting the timing with an induction light(fine adjustment) will fix it.

If you completely removed the distibutor you have to get the #1 cylinder to TDC and align the gear on the ditributor and that ain't fun.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:32 PM
fstop128

there is also a ground wire under the distributor. on my 92 it came lose enough so that my car wouldnt start after i changed out my temp sensor. it didnt come off so i didnt recognize it as the problem.. its under the distributor around the temp sensor, gas gauge sensor, radiator hoses and t stat if your 95 is similar to my 92.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:42 PM
bej31705

Originally Posted by Cousin It
Did you loosen the disributor itself and allow it to turn or did you completely remove the distributor?

If you loosened the distributor and allowed it to turn then your timing is probably off to the point where it wont turn over. Simply rotating it and finding the point where the car starts (rough adjustment), then shooting the timing with an induction light(fine adjustment) will fix it.

If you completely removed the distibutor you have to get the #1 cylinder to TDC and align the gear on the ditributor and that ain't fun.
How would I go about doing this, is there an article or previous post you could direct me too? This sounds like it is the problem. I'm so ready to get this over with so I can get started on redoing the audio system. Thanks again for the help btw, I appreciate it.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:19 AM
Cousin It

I'm assuming you have an F22A series enigne, if so, take a look at this.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...lug+tube+seals
Old 11-21-2008, 10:31 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

I thought the shaft on the distributor only went on one way (unless you force it on wrong) b/c of the slightly offset (or uneven) shape where the dist. shaft mates to the camshaft, unless it's different for civics than accords :shrug: