Notices

Spewing oil!!! Help!!!!

Old 11-15-2008, 07:21 AM
ern1984

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spewing oil!!! Help!!!!

long story short, well kind of short...I put a quart of oil in my car while in a parking lot, back out of the spot to leave and noticed every bit of oil was on the ground, with a trail of it leading to my car. got home put the car on blocks and added more oil, started it, looked underneath and oil was literally pissing out of my car. it was coming from (well what i think was) a bolt hole on the bottom of the crankshaft outer cover. i've been told it is only the crankshaft front oil seal. any suggestions, comments or ideas? please help!! i have no money and usually work on my own car. I have looked in the haynes book to see how to replace it but i makes me turn to a million different chapters before i even get to the seal, very confusing. PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 02:27 PM
fstop128

that is probably what is leaking. you have to get it fixed or you could possibly lose all of your oil within minutes. there is a fix for it and you dont have to have a dealer fix it an independent shop can fix it. timing case has to come off. you dont say what year your car is so i cant really tell you much more other then, dont drive it till you get it fixed. usually this seal is replaced with the timing belt repair. you may be due for that also. good luck..

Last edited by fstop128; 11-16-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:34 PM
ern1984

it is a 93. i do have a feeling i can change it myself, but i am very intimidated at trying to change the timing belt as well. my car has around 148k and to my knowledge that timing belt has not been changed and would desperately need to be changed (i'm guessing). like i said before though, i am intimidated by the thought of fooling with the belt and screwing something up.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:05 PM
stereo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if I had to guess the balance shaft seal poped out it's very common for that to happen and honda knows this also thats why they sell a balance shaft seal retainer to keep it from happening again. since oil is pouring out your going to need to replace the timong belt and the balance shaft belt and while your in there the crankshaft , camshaft seal and the oil pump o-ring and check the condition of the tensioners.. if the waterpump has not been replace it's a good time also. if you can DIY then it's not to expensive but the crank pully bolt is a pain to break loose if not have a indpendent shop do the job otherwise park it as if you run out oil it's by-by motor or if enough oil gets on the timing belt it will snap and bend the valves...
Old 11-28-2008, 07:50 AM
i6h

I concur with stereo, it happened to me 3 weeks after I did the belts. Too bad I didn't know about the retainer when I had it apart the frist time. No other seal will cause the oil to leak out as fast as you can put it in.