Notices

96 Accord Suspension and Steering Wheel Vibration

Old 11-06-2008, 07:10 PM
500$accord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Accord Suspension and Steering Wheel Vibration

This is a two part question.

I currently have a steering wheel vibration that starts around 60MPH and goes away by 70 MPH. It does not matter much if I accelerate, coast or decelerate... it is always there. I try not to drive in that range. I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem and knows what the cause is.

I have not had the car aligned since I purchased 8K miles ago. The car has 160K miles. The tires are new and the problem persisted through the first tire rotation. The car does not pull much, but if it does, it goes to the drivers side slighty.

My second question involves the kind of maintainence that would be involved with the suspension on a car this age. I doubt it had been pampered before I got it, but assuming that it was marginally cared for, are there some general parts that need replacement, busings, ball joints. etc. No noises yet, only the vibration.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2008, 07:26 AM
Line7
Platinum Member

Basically you dont know the last time the car got an alignment, you dont know weather it ever got one at all. :chuckles: I think you already know what you have to do. Also, make sure you tire pressure is to spec. Then there should be no more vibrations, unless you have a bad axle, then thats a different story.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:48 AM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also the wheels might be vent. I have the same car and I think I already change every part of the suspension and most of the steering parts. if the alignment does work then try swapping the wheels and see if the vibration goes away.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:42 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Something that goes away at a certain points sounds like something is out of balance. You said tires are new, does that mean you had new ones put on after owning the car, or they look new? If the vibration was present, you had all 4 tires replaced, and the vibration is still present than it might be a bent rim or something, but otherwise I'd say get your wheels/tires balanced.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:54 PM
500$accord

I had the tires replaced shortly after buying the car in December. The new tires are from Sams club. They are Bridgestones that I have bought before and never had problems.

The advice to rebalance is what I had read before. On my first rotation i told them to rebalance all the wheels because of the vibration. The problem did not change after the rotation and rebalancing of the tires. I assume they put the front on the back, so I don't think a bad rim would cause this.

I guess I was looking for something honda accord specific, like bushings or something else. I thought alignments were only for pulling left or right, which the car doesnt do.

Thanks for all the responses.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:38 PM
mansun

Originally Posted by 500
I had the tires replaced shortly after buying the car in December. The new tires are from Sams club. They are Bridgestones that I have bought before and never had problems.

The advice to rebalance is what I had read before. On my first rotation i told them to rebalance all the wheels because of the vibration. The problem did not change after the rotation and rebalancing of the tires. I assume they put the front on the back, so I don't think a bad rim would cause this.

I guess I was looking for something honda accord specific, like bushings or something else. I thought alignments were only for pulling left or right, which the car doesnt do.

Thanks for all the responses.
Hi Friend you probem is Front Axle.... check o change.

Regards.

German BsAs
Old 03-26-2009, 09:36 AM
500$accord

Default Upate

I just had my wheels rotated and balanced at Sams club for the second time. My problem existed from the time the tires were put on through the first rotation. That made me rule out bad rims, out of balance tires ( because I specifically asked for rebalancing on the first rotation). The symptoms before/after the first rotation were identical. Now after the second rotation the vibration has almost completely disappeared??? I am not sure what is going on here. My first thought was that they didn't do anything the first time to the car. I guess the tech could have rebalanced and somehow a back wheel could have had some bad balancing and been moved up front. Not really sure, but it is suspicious. I am glad I didn't start tearing away at my suspension. Had I driven the car at all with the old tires, I probably would have questioned the vibration, but I had the old rotted tires replaced immediately