Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fit service interval?

Anyone have this?
Old 11-06-2008, 02:24 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Owner's manual? :hsughr:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 11-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
Owner's manual? :hsughr:
I wish. The owner's manual refers to some mystical system in the Fit that tells me to reference the owner's manual when codes are displayed on the screen.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:21 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by Epoch
I wish. The owner's manual refers to some mystical system in the Fit that tells me to reference the owner's manual when codes are displayed on the screen.
Ah. So they must be gauging the service interval by how often and how hard you drive the car.

Which raises the question, how hard and how often? h:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 11-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Ah. So they must be gauging the service interval by how often and how hard you drive the car.

Which raises the question, how hard and how often? h:
I drive my car very hard and all night long :naughty:

Actually, I've been babying this thing, which depending on your school of engine break-in, is a good or bad thing. I haven't even have 200 miles on it yet. Lots of varied RPMs, not taking it above 60 MPH, putting the engine to about 3.5K rpms at half throttle before shifting. It's what the manual basically recommends to do until 600 miles.

If it's any indication of how I drive my cars, my last GS-R had gotten 80K out of OEM brake pads when I sold it, and they still had 1/3rd of a visible pad on them.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:15 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

I drive my car very hard and all night long :naughty:

Actually, I've been babying this thing, which depending on your school of engine break-in, is a good or bad thing. I haven't even have 200 miles on it yet. Lots of varied RPMs, not taking it above 60 MPH, putting the engine to about 3.5K rpms at half throttle before shifting. It's what the manual basically recommends to do until 600 miles.

If it's any indication of how I drive my cars, my last GS-R had gotten 80K out of OEM brake pads when I sold it, and they still had 1/3rd of a visible pad on them.
Bueno. In about 300 miles time, I would change the oil & filter and start doing some full-thottle to redline highway on-ramp pulls. I'd replace the oil & filter a second time at 1,500, then go to 3k interval from there on out.

You will see more and better fuel economy over the long haul if you make doubly sure that the piston rings bed in with some aggressive driving.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Bueno. In about 300 miles time, I would change the oil & filter and start doing some full-thottle to redline highway on-ramp pulls. I'd replace the oil & filter a second time at 1,500, then go to 3k interval from there on out.

You will see more and better fuel economy over the long haul if you make doubly sure that the piston rings bed in with some aggressive driving.
Hate to break from your sage like knowledge, but I thought it was most advisable to hold the original Honda oil to 5K miles (or as recommended by the car), as not only is that what the manual says, but I was told that the factory oil is specially formulated to facilitate the break in, thus making it idea to keep in for the recommended time.

Besides our standing apart on the oil timing bit, I do agree that I need to make sure the piston rings are well seated by gas pressure.

BTW: The little 1.5L engine in this is an absolute joy. It's perky and it has quite a good tone considering it's size.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:02 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Hate to break from your sage like knowledge, but I thought it was most advisable to hold the original Honda oil to 5K miles (or as recommended by the car), as not only is that what the manual says, but I was told that the factory oil is specially formulated to facilitate the break in, thus making it idea to keep in for the recommended time.

BTW: The little 1.5L engine in this is an absolute joy. It's perky and it has quite a good tone considering it's size.
I don't mind being over-ruled by the people who built the car. :exnbp:
My recommendation was based on what I did for my GTi after I rebuilt and replaced its motor.

And yeah, I bet that newer L15 is a peach. I was already impressed with the last gen Fit Sport.

Last edited by TheOtherDave™; 11-07-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

I don't mind being over-ruled by the people who built the car. :exnbp:
My recommendation was based on what I did for my GTi after I rebuilt and replaced its motor.

And yeah, I bet that newer L15 is a peach. I was already impressed with the last gen Fit Sport.
I look at this car and I smile

There's faster and slicker cars out there, RWD and AWD turbo beasts, leather interiors, and all other sorts of ammenities. The Fit has everything I could want in a car for the price, and I think it will basically run forever

And it's a LOT of fun. The suspension just... sticks to the road, and the engine has enough torque down low to make easy driving in the town quite nice. I can't wait to turn the engine a little bit up, but for right now, it's great. Oh, and the navi system in this car is slick