Notices

91 EX - Vibration in front when...

Old 11-05-2008, 06:06 AM
the 18th letter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 EX - Vibration in front when...

Going above 55 and sometimes when going yup hill at lower speeds. I'm pushing a 91 EX 5 SPD manual. It's strange ebcause it doesn't always happen. I notice it sometimes going to work, and coming home through a hilly area. If I take it out of gear the vibration stops immediately, same thing if I let up off the gas, vibration stops. If I'm going up hill the same thing will happen at a lower speed. One morning I couldn't shift past 2nd gear going up a hill or it would start vibrating. I was told it might be the clutch, any suggestions?
Old 11-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Line7
Platinum Member

When you are going up a hill you should not be driving below 3K rpm.h: Obviously, depends on how steep the hill is...
Old 11-05-2008, 09:26 AM
the 18th letter

Originally Posted by Line7
When you are going up a hill you should not be driving below 3K rpm.h: Obviously, depends on how steep the hill is...
Vibration prevents me from getting to 3k rpm depending on the gear. Once it starts the harder I accelerate the harder the vibration becomes..
Old 11-08-2008, 08:34 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

I don't think the rpm you're at is the issue, but easy test of course is to leave it in 3rd or 4th instead of going up into 5th, to see if it feels the same at that speed. My guess, just a guess, is that the vibration is an issue at the rear of the car that you feel when accelerating and giving it gas b/c you're putting more weight on the rear in those situations.
I would expect that if the problem was with the engine or drivetrain, that it might go away when you put the clutch in, but not when you just let up on the gas while leaving it in gear.

edit: Unless of course the engine was missing, but I'm assuming you'd be able to tell that's what was happening.

Last edited by A-series; 11-08-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:34 AM
the 18th letter

Originally Posted by A-series
I don't think the rpm you're at is the issue, but easy test of course is to leave it in 3rd or 4th instead of going up into 5th, to see if it feels the same at that speed. My guess, just a guess, is that the vibration is an issue at the rear of the car that you feel when accelerating and giving it gas b/c you're putting more weight on the rear in those situations.
I would expect that if the problem was with the engine or drivetrain, that it might go away when you put the clutch in, but not when you just let up on the gas while leaving it in gear.

edit: Unless of course the engine was missing, but I'm assuming you'd be able to tell that's what was happening.
I don't think it's an RPM issue either to an extent. Going up hill in 3rd gear the vibration will start at the higher RPM's and when I let off the gas the vibration will decrease. However if I engage the clutch the vibration will stop. And the vibration is def coming from the front. I checked the clutch fluid and it was pretty low so I topped it off and it seems to have offered some relief. But I'm losing clutch fluid someplace because I have been topping it off every 4-5 days since. It's doesn't get dry, like it was before, but it's def losing some. There's no miss in the engine either.