Notices

02 V6 Coupe - Replacement shocks/struts?

Old 10-29-2008, 05:50 PM
AndyK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 V6 Coupe - Replacement shocks/struts?

Hey-
My 02 Accord Coupe has 82k miles on the original suspension. Question is, what set of replacement shocks would get me near stock performance, with a slight upgrade - without being racing stiff? Are OE shocks usually shot by 82k of city driving?

Do I need new springs too, or are the shocks usually replaced before the springs?

Thanks!

Andy
Old 10-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Spec R

Springs are supposed to last the life of the car. even then, i'm sure they're not even breaking a sweat at 82k miles.

However, your shocks may or may not need replacement. I see that you're from Jersey, so the roads may not be autobahn smooth, and your suspension may be exposed to road salt during the winter.

What did you notice that brought this to your attention?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:42 AM
AndyK

Aside from the floating feeling I get from this car (a first for any Honda I've owned), when I hit even small road bumps, cracks, etc, I get harsh jolts that sound like "crack"! Feels like the windshield is going to shatter - I guess it's just not damped enough. That's why I am guessing the shocks are shot.

I've done a search and have seen plenty of recomendations for replacement shocks that involve getting performance springs and lowering the car. I have no interest in that, and want to keep the suspension stock. I would normally buy discounted OEM replacement shocks/struts, but would hate to miss out on a better alternative at a reasonable price, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited by AndyK; 10-30-2008 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Spec R

Originally Posted by AndyK
Aside from the floating feeling I get from this car (a first for any Honda I've owned), when I hit even small road bumps, cracks, etc, I get harsh jolts that sound like "crack"! Feels like the windshield is going to shatter - I guess it's just not damped enough. That's why I am guessing the shocks are shot.

I've done a search and have seen plenty of recomendations for replacement shocks that involve getting performance springs and lowering the car. I have no interest in that, and want to keep the suspension stock. I would normally buy discounted OEM replacement shocks/struts, but would hate to miss out on a better alternative at a reasonable price, etc.

Thanks!
ohhh, definitely sounds like a shock problem. there's a distributor of OE replacement parts near where I'm from that I buy a lot of parts from. you might want to give them a call www.bmaparts.com.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:39 AM
AndyK

Thanks for the link. Are Honda OEM shocks made by KYB?
Old 10-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Spec R

Thanks for the link. Are Honda OEM shocks made by KYB?
you know thats a good question, but to put it into perspective, a very very very very high percentage of japanese OE shocks are made by either KYB or Tokico.

I do know for sure that the stock shocks on an S2000 and Lancer Evo clearly have KYB stamped on them. not too sure about your accord.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:15 PM
AndyK

Best way to find out - I'll check my front shocks out and see if I notice a brand stamp anywhere. I just want to make sure I get OE ride quality, and not a stiffer, less forgiving ride.

Any idea if I need all the rubber and mounting bits replaced along with the shocks? If I order from your link, for example, I don't want to not order a small part, only to find my mechanic needs that part, etc.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Spec R

Best way to find out - I'll check my front shocks out and see if I notice a brand stamp anywhere. I just want to make sure I get OE ride quality, and not a stiffer, less forgiving ride.

Any idea if I need all the rubber and mounting bits replaced along with the shocks? If I order from your link, for example, I don't want to not order a small part, only to find my mechanic needs that part, etc.
at 82k miles the rubber parts and other ancillary item SHOULD be re-usable with no consequences, but without looking at the car, I really dont know..
Old 11-10-2008, 09:00 AM
AndyK

Update: My mechanic test drove the car, and reported back that there is nothing wrong with the suspension. He suspects that the Goodyear Assurance Comfortread tires just ride much harder than most when they wear. He says it's riding like I have 100 pounds of air in the tires - which confirms my complaint about the ride. Checking Tirerack, nobody likes these Goodyear tires. Since they came with the car when I bought it a year and a half ago, I'll be buying new tires. Hopefully that will give me a nicer ride! And it's better than me guessing I needed shocks and spending that money!
Old 11-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Spec R

darn it, that was my next guess. let us know when u get new tires