Notices

91 accord idles erratically

Old 10-24-2008, 09:48 PM
ndrew2505

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 accord idles erratically

the car
idles up and down after running for a few minutes and continues to do so for anywhere from 10-30 min. once the car gets good and warm(engine temp) it will stop by itself or if i cut the car off it stops until the motor completely cools and i start it again.

car is a 91 accord ex 5spd. list of things ive tried so far for idling problem.

replaced air filter
replaced egr valve
cleaned iac valve
cleaned iac motor

the haynes manual lists a few things that could still be wrong but i wanted to hear from someone with a little experience b/c haynes doesnt go into depth on a lot of issues. any help would be appreciated!
Old 10-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Cousin It

Erratic idle is a common problem with the F22 motor and its generally a sign that the engine is getting too much air from some location. A lot of times that means a vacuum leak. In your case, since you describe the problem as being only when the engine is cold, the most likly candidate is the FITV. Over time the ring in the FITV can come loose and back off which allows too much air to enter the engine. The computer then starts to fight against what it sees as too much air and the result is an erratic idle. Try taking the cap off of your FITV and screwing the ring back down. If that doesn't work it probably needs to be replaced.

I had a similar problem, but the air leak was coming from the idle speed screw backing out too far. Make sure you baseline your idle first to eliminate that as the root cause.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:48 AM
tommytomtom17
Honda Driver

Check the gaskets at the exhaust mainfold. Just spray em with some starter fluid, if it revs up when you spary then thats the bad gasket.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:38 PM
ndrew2505

Originally Posted by Cousin It
Try taking the cap off of your FITV and screwing the ring back down. If that doesn't work it probably needs to be replaced.
i tried that and it seems to work for now. ive already spent a few hundred on getting the suspension on the car back in order. ive been getting a crash course in auto repair over the past few weeks. ive already had to replace all the ball joints, cv axles, egr valve, and changed the manual trans fluid. ive also got an antenna mast, driver door window regulator and a few other items on order to fix some stuff that ive been putting off.

thanks for the replies btw!

Last edited by ndrew2505; 10-25-2008 at 08:39 PM. Reason: forgot thanx!