Notices

88 dash lights not working

Old 10-21-2008, 02:35 PM
g8ts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 dash lights not working

Hello,

I am new here, Great Site. I have a 88 Accord LX. I have a problem with the Dash Board lights not on. All the accessory lights indicator lights work, just not the speedo and RPM night lights. When I turn light on ashtry glove box and vanity passenger mirror lights work. Checked all fuses...all checked good. I am thinking the dimmer switch is bad. Any other Ideas? I think five pins on the dimmer switch housing, anyone know how to check with meter? or should I just replace? Checked around and could not find any threads on this, a lot on the third fuse box 10amp on 90 plus Accords but not on a 88. Shes a good old car perfect condition and only 70K. Any Ideas thanks for your time...
Old 10-21-2008, 06:08 PM
tommytomtom17
Honda Driver

Heres some info on a 87 accord lx. They should be the same

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
control unit.jpg (71.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg
dashlight.jpg (66.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-21-2008, 06:14 PM
94jdmcivic

If i were you i wouldnt worry about checking the dimmer switch...i would just replace it and also have u checked the bulbs? always check the easy and obvious
Old 10-22-2008, 02:09 AM
g8ts

Hey thanks a lot for the info. I'll check the resistance of the switch today. I did not check the bulbs. Although anything is possible, but I can't believe they would all go bad at once. So I'll replace the switch first then go from there.
Any good online dealers for switches or is my local honda dealer my best bet?
Thanks,
Old 10-25-2008, 04:01 PM
g8ts

OK,

Replaced dimmer NO GO! Still same problem, Any Ideas out there ? I could use some. I have a meter for testing any source, but need to know where to look next. Seems when you turn the lights on the Ashtray and glovebox lights work. Am I missing a relay somewhere I don't know about? Seems when I turn the lights on it turns off the shifter position lights is it then suppose to light up the floor shifter? hhhmmm... Thanks for any input or Ideas...
Old 10-25-2008, 07:00 PM
g8ts

Update,

I have to give Tommytomtom17 a big HooRA...The control unit test #3 turned on my dash lights, checked #2 r/bi had full voltage concluding bad control unit!
Now I just have to find one...will update when I get a new unit...so hope it will help if anyone else has the same issue...

Last edited by g8ts; 10-25-2008 at 07:02 PM.