Notices

2001 Accord V6 Brake Sound after replacing?

Old 10-17-2008, 12:38 PM
ao_tenshi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Accord V6 Brake Sound after replacing?

Hi all,

Wonder if anyone else come across this or have any suggestion on it:

I had my brake pads replaced for all 4 wheels, but after the installation I hear scratching noise (metal to metal sound like old trucks braking) about 50-60% of the time I step on brake Hear it more often in slower speeds.

Its been like this for a few months now, I susupect its coming from the rear wheels. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:45 AM
1998accordlx
VTEC INSIDE

if rotors are new or you resurfaced them..then let the damn brakes break in first..since you experience this in slow speed i'm thinking (5mph) that is common until the surface of the rotor becomes slippery....give it a week and see if it does it if it still does....try going past 70mph and step on the breaks...if there is any sort of vibration under your foot or if the steering wheel is vibrating then you have to resurface the rotors again.......the vibration under foot test can only be done on NON ABS cars since on those you feel a vibration either way and its normal.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:55 AM
ao_tenshi

Thanks for the suggestion. Just wondering, what is the typical time for new break pads to break in properly after they are replaced?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:46 PM
lilsharky

i was told that it will go away in a few hundred miles. mine was like that and went away after about 300miles of only city driving.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:36 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

If you feel vibration at all times under braking, it's not ABS. ABS will only step in and cause the brake pedal to pulsate under very hard braking on dry pavement(even then on most cars it wouldn't be sustained if noticeable at all), or moderate to light braking on slippery services.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:50 AM
packerwannabe

Default New to the forum: need help with brakes on 01 Accd v6

Can anyone direct me to an idiot's guide to replacing the rear disc brake pads on my 2001 Accord Coupe V-6? If the guide had photos, that would be outstanding. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:54 AM
DOZ5

Originally Posted by packerwannabe
Can anyone direct me to an idiot's guide to replacing the rear disc brake pads on my 2001 Accord Coupe V-6? If the guide had photos, that would be outstanding. Thanks for your help.
Go get yourself a Haynes manual for $20!!!
Money well spent.

Just remember, in the rear calipers, twist to plunge in to make room for new pads, (in the front use a c-clamp). Also, you will need to pay attention to the emergency brake. While you have the car on jack stand, go and pull the brake handle and got spin the rear wheel. it should be loose when lever is down and grab when on about 3 clicks.

Usually you can take a jack and put the jack stand under the wheel you are testing, than spin that wheel and see if you can hear the noises. You can do the fronts as well, but do it one wheel on the ground so the differential switch to the wheel in the air. You have to have the car on if it is auto tranny. BUT PLEASE BE CAREFULL DOING SO!

Remember, the calipers needs to slide a bit and the caliper bolts must have grease in them. All boots (2) needs to be in tact.

I highly doubt that if you had it replaced a few month ago it will be bad unless whoever put it in did it wrong.

It take time for the pads to bed in with the rotors. Some pads are worst than others though. There is the bed-in prcedure, 60MPH to 20 hard breaking a few time should cure it. probably 500-1000 miles to really bed in.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:06 AM
500$accord

Default Maybe brakes were installed incorrecly? Too tight?

I had this problem in my 96. The rear brakes were constantly scraping. I took them off to change the pads and I noticed that the driver's side was kind of wedged at an agle. It was way too tight in the bracket that holds the pads. The brakes worked, but they wouldn't release.

I picked up new pads from NAPA and I found that they were also very tight. Never had this happen before, but I took the pads to my grinder and went to work until they slid in the new brake hardware kit. No problems since then, but maybe whoever did your brakes also found they were too tight and just forced them in. That will not fix itself.