Notices

a leak from where?

Old 10-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Khazzy
The know nothing kid.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a leak from where?

so i got into my car this morning, and i noticed a dark x like shape on my floor matt, and then another dark spot next to it, it is located right under the steering column, wtf is this? if it was my master cylinder, then it should be near the clutch, any ideas? i touched it and it was deff some sort of oil or thicker fluid. much thanks, i already think i need to replace the clutch, it seems to be engaging later than usual around 1500-2000 rpm, but then again it shifts prfectly fine.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Line7
Platinum Member

If it was a clutch MC leak, you would likely feel a huge drop in pedal pressure. Same thing with brakes.

Just get up in there and look around. Take off the kick panel if you need to.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Lynxs1981

Anything underneath the floor mat?
Old 10-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Khazzy
The know nothing kid.

Originally Posted by Lynxs1981
Anything underneath the floor mat?
stock floor mats, they have a rubber bottom lining, the liquid seemed fresh to me, yeah i should just get under there and check it out, im so paranoid about my car sometimes, i guess being tight on money has that effect haha. ill look under and see if i notice anything and update this.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Khazzy
The know nothing kid.

oki have looke under, and i rember hearing some kind of sticky noise every time i pushed the clutch in. it was a sound like a suction cup you know? so after looking under, it dawned on me, that plastic rubber like cone that stops the pedal from hitting the floor, it hits a metal point coming out, which stops it. *sorry i don't know what this part is called exactly* anywho, it looked well sticky, i looked up the pedal and i see this red gooey like stuff hanging there, i can tell these pedals have never been taken care of, ill try and post some pics i took blindly, but does this mean i will need to change the master cylinder? i hope not, my cutch doesnt stay down or anything, it works fine, my only problem is how throttle it takes, that is another thing, ill post pics of the gas pedal arm, goo on there as well
Old 10-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Khazzy
The know nothing kid.

clutch

gas pedal arm

clutch again
sorry for how big they are, but i feel the detail is needed and cannot be seen so small.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Line7
Platinum Member

These are the pints where fluid would most likely be leaking from (in the attached pic.) Clutch fluid is clear to gray in color. Its not really gooey. That stuff is just a lubricant. Just check your fluid level regularly. Like I said, If it was your fluids you would feel a dramatic loss of pressure in the pedals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CIMG0999.jpg (316.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-10-2008, 06:12 PM
2001TEGGSR

Your car has a separate Master cylinder for the Clutch, and Brakes.

Check the fluid level on BOTH reservoirs under the hood. If one is lower than normal, that is the culprit.

Originally Posted by Khazzy
my only problem is how throttle it takes, that is another thing, ill post pics of the gas pedal arm, goo on there as well
Are you saying it takes an abnormal amount of pressure on the throttle to get the car moving?

If so, I would blame the clutch MC.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Spec R

kind of off topic but those are nice pictures - even with my dslr and whatever else i have, its always kind of hard to get nice pics from under the dash with flash
Old 10-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Lynxs1981

Agreed, nice pics help a lot. I don't see any signs of leaking from the clutch M/C. Do you see anything above the spot on the mat where this fluid could be leaking from?