Notices

92 Integra GSR- rebuild shopping list

Old 10-08-2008, 06:07 AM
shouldifixit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Integra GSR- rebuild shopping list

I am just beginning to look into rebuilding my 1.7 gsr engine and wondering if anyone can point me to a comprehensive parts page. I want to rebuild it, but not modify it too much. If I need to replace a part, I don't mind putting in a performance part, but I dont need to put something in because its purty.
So what I am looking for is a shopping list for parts I will need to rebuild the engine, and any other parts I should replace while the engine is out. (ie CV joints)
Any suggestions?
Old 10-08-2008, 08:19 AM
GSRRacer95
Fight On!

What is the reason for the rebuild? Engine Smoke? Leaks?
Old 10-14-2008, 02:13 PM
shouldifixit

Default reason

Well the reason is high miles and my lowering trust. The engine does leak quite a bit of oil now, most of it from the gaskets. I don't notice much smoke from the exhaust. But then again my exhaust keeps growing new holes after I fix em.
It is nearing the time, if not past it, to replace the timing.
Granted I could probably get by with continuing to put more oil in it, and I could wait till something fails before I fix it. However sometimes I make a 2 hour drive and I dont want to become stranded somewhere in the middle. The engine is awesome and I dont want to blow it up due to age or lack of maintenance.

So while I'm fixing stuff, why not do it all at once and end up with an awesome drivetrain. My body still needs loads of work too.
My calculation is that it would be cheaper to rebuild this car, than to buy a newer one without going over 5 grand.

Thats why.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:24 AM
Lynxs1981

Well depending on your expectations, you can get an entire rebuild kit, (gaskets, pistons, rods, etc..) fairly cheap if you shop around. Pretty sure under $1k. If you're looking for a little more power, then shop for a complete gasket set or "re-ring kit," which includes all the gaskets. Then you could get some JE pistons, maybe Eagle rods, and some new cams to fit your budget. You can get mild gains from it, but it will last a lot longer that the stock setup and take a bit more stress if you like to push your car now and then.