Notices

Honda New Car Return

Old 10-07-2008, 03:05 AM
gino1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda New Car Return

Hello, I am new to the forum. I just bought a 2009 Accord EX (46 miles on odometer due to dealer trade 40 mile distance away from my purchasing dealer) and after driving it for 3 weeks and nearly 500 miles, I finally got around to waxing it yesterday. While washing the car twice in the prior two weeks, I noticed what is clearly paint overspray on the driver's side hood and fender down to the fog light. It has that sandpaper-like feel to it that slowly lessened as you felt further away from that part of the car. There was also a 1/2" blob-like thing on the hood which to me looked like brush-on touch up pait that had been applied with a heavy hand. There was even overspray on the plastic fake chrome grille area that had what looked to be a masking tape line. I went to the dealer pretty upset when I realized what this was. The purchasing dealer and the dealer trade dealer denied ever having applied anything, paint or otherwise that would make my car look as it does. They clay-barred the car and it looks a lot better, but still feels a bit rough in spots. I demanded a new car. my feeling is that since no one could tell me how the substance is or got there, how will the car look in 5 or 10 years. I plan on keeping the car for the long haul and I want to nip this in the bud. I should have noticed the blsmish earlier, but i took delivery of the car and didn't drive it much in the first week. I contatced Honda Corporate customer relations and opened a case and am awaiting a call back. Any ideas. Do you think my request of a replacement car is justified since no-one knows what the blemishes are nor hoow they got there? Any ideas? Great forum. Thanks, Gino1
Old 10-07-2008, 03:30 AM
BONE

I dont think they will give you a new car they will probably offer to paint the affected areas for you. You should of waited to wax the car like 3 months or so, its not good to wax a car thats been freshly painted or brand new. Hopefully everything works out for you and welcome to the site this is a great forum.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:18 AM
gino1

The car was made in July, so it's at least a few months old. I think I was OK in waxing it. Thanks for your input and the welcome. My issue isn't how it looks today. My issue is how it will look in 5-10 years after the paint fades and wears. Since they don't know, won't tell how the overspray got there, I am still pushing for a new car. I'll update the post as the situation progresses. Thanks, Gino1
Old 10-07-2008, 06:34 AM
losiglow

Yeah, I doubt they'll give you a new car based on that, though I think you're justified in complaining. If I paid for a brand new car, I'd expect perfection.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:18 AM
VPUPPY

BMW was sued over a similar issue a few years back. Some cars were being damaged during shipping (minor dent/scrapes) and dealers were fixing them and selling as new. BMW defended its action and later was found guilty I believe. Here is one case:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/94-896.ZO.html

I am sure you can cite this when you talk to your corporate rep.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:40 AM
gingas

That's too bad on your situation. They definately should take care of everything that's needed.
About the waxing your car. That's ok to wax anything new. I'm sure they asked if they do that do you want a pro-profesional pack. Which includesaint sealant,undercoating,fabric/leather protection & rust proof.
You can break it up or do the complete package. They would include in your car note or you can pay seperately.
I did that at one of my old dealerships.
Post how it turned out for you.
Welcome on board & congrats on 09 Accord.
A buddy of mines wife have a 09 EX-L 4 cyl. It rides good & very roomy in the back
Old 10-07-2008, 07:56 AM
gino1

Thanks for the information. I'm not gonna roll over easy. When I buy a new car, I buy it for the long haul and take good care of it. I'm one of those guys that parks as far as I can from the other cars, and to have it be messed up like this before I paid my hard-earned money for it just kills me. I'm waiting to hear from a Honda corporate rep. The good thing is, I got everyone involved in the dealership from the car detailer to the General. Although I'm continuing to drive the car, the mileage on the car at the time I visited the dealer is documented. They need to step up and make things right. They realize that one bad customer experience will affect many future referrals and sales. Thanks again. I'll keep you updated. Gino1
Old 10-08-2008, 05:24 PM
keng

There is no way you're going to get a new car because of a little paint issue. About 4 years a go I purchased a new VW passat that had all kinds of problems (transmission problems, wet carpet, etc) and they refused to refund or give me a new car.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Fudbutter

Any way you look at this, you got yourself one heck of a car and should just enjoy it as is. If you use the machine, you will get all sorts of dings and dents anyway that will just give it personality.

On the other hand, I understand you being P.O.'d. You paid for a new car and you deserve a perfect delivery. Your dealer should make it as right as possible but a new car is over the top

Your car is new only once in it's life, squeeze every moment of enjoyment of of this great machine that you can.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:26 AM
96 EX

You should expect them to fix the paint issues ... that's reasonable. Unless the dealer feels compelled to swap out the car Honda won't support giving you another vehicle.