Notices

different clutch "feels" ?

Old 12-07-2002, 08:52 PM
brak
37 ?!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default different clutch "feels" ?

ive driven 3 different civics, my own (98DX), a 00 Si, and a 93 Si. on the Si's it felt like the clutch was softer and easier to push in then on my DX, which is much stiffer, is this common ? or is my civic odd ?
Old 12-07-2002, 09:05 PM
str8edgexx

no...thats totally normal. I have four different cars in my family that are 5 speeds, and none of their clutches feel the same. None of them have the same resistance to push down, and none of them catch at the same point...you have to get used to them. Clutches are kind of like chicks...none of them are exactly the same, and you have to adapt to get used to their own little idiosyncrasies.
Old 12-07-2002, 09:10 PM
brak
37 ?!

i could see that on different makes or models, but on the same model ?
Old 12-07-2002, 09:16 PM
ManTiS
NinJA

It depends on so many factors: wear on clutch, pedal adustments, brake fluid quality/level, throwout bearing, shifter fork, slave cylinder, master cylinder, pressure plate, presence of bearing grease, etc etc
Old 12-07-2002, 09:22 PM
brak
37 ?!

Originally posted by ManTiS
It depends on so many factors: wear on clutch, pedal adustments, brake fluid quality/level, throwout bearing, shifter fork, slave cylinder, master cylinder, pressure plate, presence of bearing grease, etc etc
that brings up another question....

sometimes when i taking off, or shifting up, right before the clutch is all the way gripped and up, it makes a noise, almost like a screetching, but not quite, it doesnt always do it, the dealer said it's becuase of the way i drive. but im unsure.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:37 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probably your release bearing.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:11 PM

Mathis, so does the brake affect the clutches stiffness??
Old 12-07-2002, 11:27 PM
ManTiS
NinJA

Originally posted by 91_hatch_si
Mathis, so does the brake affect the clutches stiffness??
NOT the brakes itself, the brake fluid in the master cylinder can if the fluid is old
Old 12-08-2002, 08:49 AM

i think i have air in my brakes, and when the pressure on the brake goes soft, and also has lesser braking action, the clucth becomes really soft too
Old 12-08-2002, 10:15 AM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 91_hatch_si
i think i have air in my brakes, and when the pressure on the brake goes soft, and also has lesser braking action, the clucth becomes really soft too
Air in your brakelines will not affect your clutch. In a hydro clutch setup, the clutch has its own master cylinder separate fromt he brake system. Air in one will not have effect on the other. If your user name is accurate, and you have a 91 Si, you have a cable operated clutch, so that doesn't apply to you. Your clutch is operated via a cable rather than hydraulic pressure. If you're having problems with clutch engagement, your clutch cable may need to be adjusted.