Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Hypothetical car shuffling

Old 09-22-2008, 04:14 PM
DakarM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by white_n_slow
More info please h: I'm just going from what I've heard. It's also important that whatever car I get is something I can work on myself. :-/
e39 would be ideal if you want to work on it yourself. it has the same size engine as the 3series except the engine bay was designed for a V8. so you get a lot of room.

the myth of bmw parts costing a lot comes from ignorant owners who take their cars to dealers. you can find for example a water pump for $600 at one place $500 at another place or $150 at a third place. exact same part.

I do give in that labor is more expensive, even when comparing dealers. cheapest I've seen is $150/hr (CA pricing). but if you plan on working on the car yourself, it's non issue.

also bmw puts out what they call "TIS" it's german initials loosely translate to technical information system. It will show you exactly how to fix/replace/remove/repair any bmw produced in the last 30years. it's a cd you can download off the interweb.

some of the more expensive parts are electronic, such as the navigation but if you are patient, you can find them for 1/5 of the msrp price ($2000) on ebay or other reputable places.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.

Last edited by DakarM; 09-22-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:21 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DakarM
e39 would be ideal if you want to work on it yourself. it has the same size engine as the 3series except the engine bay was designed for a V8. so you get a lot of room.

the myth of bmw parts costing a lot comes from ignorant owners who take their cars to dealers. you can find for example a water pump for $600 at one place $500 at another place or $150 at a third place. exact same part.

I do give in that labor is more expensive, even when comparing dealers. cheapest I've seen is $150/hr (CA pricing). but if you plan on working on the car yourself, it's non issue.

also bmw puts out what they call "TIS" it's german initials loosely translate to technical information system. It will show you exactly how to fix/replace/remove/repair any bmw produced in the last 30years. it's a cd you can download off the interweb.

some of the more expensive parts are electronic, such as the navigation but if you are patient, you can find them for 1/5 of the msrp price ($2000) on ebay or other reputable places.
Good to know. I have a friend who worked at the bmw dealership (parts dept) and always said "thank god I don't own one of these things." Which is pretty much the hearsay I was going on.

Looking at CL, it looks like there are a few deals out there, but it'll be impossible to find one without leather h: The e39's really seem to be the best priced, but I think it's just too big for me :-/
Old 09-22-2008, 04:32 PM
DakarM

Good to know. I have a friend who worked at the bmw dealership (parts dept) and always said "thank god I don't own one of these things." Which is pretty much the hearsay I was going on.

Looking at CL, it looks like there are a few deals out there, but it'll be impossible to find one without leather h: The e39's really seem to be the best priced, but I think it's just too big for me :-/
yeah it will be pretty much impossible to find cloth as cloth is not offered in the US. Some canadian models were but I don't think on the 5 series. So your choices are leatherette or leather. there are also two types of leather too :chuckles:

i would look for one with the least amount of technology, ie, no navi/no phone. ideally manual transmission with sports package and maybe xenon.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Civic2Scooby

I just thought I'd get HAN's input on the possibilities here. I know I've posted a similar thread in the past, but the options have changed a bit since then.

The civic should be up and running in a couple weeks, and I've been thinking about what would be the best way to trim my stable down to two cars. My criteria are as follows. I need a capable camping vehicle (i.e. 4x4 and locked, doesn't have to be gonzo) and a "sporty" car for commuting and autox. One of those two vehicles must hold a few friends comfortably and not be a total embarrasment, and I'm kinda sick of the infiniti anyway.

So as I see it, I have two options:

1) Sell the Infiniti and the shitbucket and get a 96+ 4runner. Use the civic for general commuting, use the 4 Runner for clients/camping/whenever I need a larger car. Benefits: the civic should get pretty good mpg's with the B20, the newer 4runner would seat me and 4 friends, so fewer vehicles would be needed on camping trips, and I wouldn't shy away from long trips where highway driving is required. Drawbacks: The civic isn't exactly the most pleasant commuter, and the longer I have it, the more money I'll blow on it

2) Sell the Infiniti and the Civic, get a WRX for a fun/commuter car. Keep the shitbucket for camping/wheeling. Benefits: I think I would be satisfied autocrossing a mostly stock WRX, and it would be a way better DD than the infiniti or the civic, and a good snowboarding car, worry-free wheeling in the shitbucket. Drawbacks: the shitbucket doesn't go on the highway very well, and can only carry one passenger, wrx would definitely get worse mpg's and require better fuel than the civic.

I'm sure I only want 2 cars, so I just need to figure out the best way to go about it. I would be looking to spend less than $10k for a 4Runner and less than $12k on a Subaru.
you won't find a WRX worth dick piddly for less than 14k It will be high miles after that, and then you are looking at rapidly oncoming upkeep costs. I say the option 1 is the best bet.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:14 PM
jaymar88
HA.net Workout Krew

Originally Posted by DakarM

Couldn't say it any better myself. I do all the work so upkeep is nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:17 PM
eonsx311
today is not my birthday.

Originally Posted by thomas
i love the 96-02 4runners thats the way that i would go if you can find a 4x4 v6 5sp they came stock with a locking rear diff
that was the most balls feature when it came out in 96. I was impressed with toyota to be honest.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:43 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
you won't find a WRX worth dick piddly for less than 14k It will be high miles after that, and then you are looking at rapidly oncoming upkeep costs. I say the option 1 is the best bet.
They are a lot more plentiful around here. The dealership I used to work at was (and may still be) the largest volume Subaru dealer on the planet. Mileage is the main problem, but there are plenty of really clean ones available for around $12k. My worries about the subaru: 1) they've been updated so frequently that a 02-03 looks pretty dated already 2) never been very impressed with subaru quality... the basic stuff works fine, but lots of little upkeep stuff (speaking from friends' and ex-gf's 3rd gen Legacies)
Old 09-22-2008, 06:06 PM
jaymar88
HA.net Workout Krew

you should test drive the wrx and a nice e39 and do a review for us
Old 09-22-2008, 06:16 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Originally Posted by jaymar88
you should test drive the wrx and a nice e39 and do a review for us
I've driven a few dubyarexes and liked them.... It's been a while since I've driven any bimmer.

I'm always down for test driving though :rick: