Notices

91 accord steering probs

Old 09-15-2008, 09:55 AM
dale2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 accord steering probs

I have a 91 Honda Accord LX. So far I've replaced the passenger side axle rod, struts all the way around, alternator, and the rack and pinion steering has been replaced by previous owner. Lately, over the last few days, it has been real hard to turn to the left and after the turn, the steering wheel won't correct itself, the wheels correct themselves but the steering wheel won't. I've checked the powersteering fluid, belt, etc. The day before this started happening, I heard a pop sound from under the drivers' side around the wheel area as I was pulling out of driveway. Sometimes it is hard to turn right also, but then sometimes it is easy to turn both ways. But no matter how easy it is to turn, the steering wheel won't correct itself. I have to jerk it into place otherwise it just stays in the position of the turn. I feel a slip when I turn at times. :sad:
Old 09-16-2008, 09:10 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

There's a physical connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels, if the wheels correct themselves (go straight) and the steering wheel didn't, you shouldn't be able to drive the car, let alone should you.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to describe, but if I understand correctly, it must be a problem with the steering rack, steering column, or tie-rod(s).
Old 09-20-2008, 09:54 AM
tommytomtom17
Honda Driver

sounds like the steering box is loose, maybe one blot fell out of it. That happened to mine once, take the cover off and turn your steering wheel with the car on the ground and see if the box is moving on you.

Last edited by tommytomtom17; 09-20-2008 at 09:55 AM.