Notices

Brake Replacement (squeak)

Old 09-11-2008, 06:38 AM
pringle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Replacement (squeak)

I replaced the front pads and rotors this past weekend on my '02 Accord.

They were EBC ultimax pads and brembo blank rotors. The pads came with a set of (4) sticky rubber backing peel-offs which I've never used before.

I didn't have any silicone compound to put on the back of the shims, so I also neglected that part. Of course, my brakes now squeak when I stop.

Anyone know what the rubber peel offs are for? Are they to replace the metal shims, and prevent the squealing?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2008, 01:14 PM
stereo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm not sure what the rubber peel offs do...as for the noise problem I usally only use honda pads as most aftermarket ones seem to squeak for some reason...
Old 09-12-2008, 08:29 PM
keng

i had the same problem with my first accord brake pad change. however, after applying some anti-noise to the back of the pads, it solved the problem. on the second brake pad change, i used ceramic brake pads and there are no no noise what so ever. i highly recommend ceramic brake pads.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:05 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Caliper grease can work as well, if you don't have the proper silicone stuff. Not sure how well it will hold up over time though, by comparison.

If the aftermarket pads didn't come w/ their own shims, I'd assume that backing is meant to be used instead of shims - that may work well for all I know, but if that's the case, and you have all of the oem shims, I'd recommend just applying grease to those.

True about some pads making more noise than oem or equivalent, I've got Nissin pads on my civic and despite having less than 1/2 of the shims it's supposed to have (and 1/2 of those being aftermarket shims) they very rarely make any noise.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:27 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

anti-squeal shims ... did you degrease/clean them before reuse? If not, try that or just buy a new set from the dealer.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:52 AM
DOZ5

I have used EBC Green stuff and EBC rotor before.

I belive that there should be front shims that the rubber sticky goes in between the shim and the pad but I am not 100% sure. Best way is to go to EBC website and read the installation instruction.

Link: http://ebcbrakes.iwebcat.com/imgVD/E...structions.pdf

You must do the bed in. Also, noises will go away after about ~1000 miles of driving.

If you are not sure that you have done the install correctly, call EBC. They have reps that will help you out.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:37 PM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No brake pads should be making noise after installation, unless you did something wrong. btw stay with oem pads and you will never have a problem.