Notices

Refurbished SRS Controller/Modules

Old 09-08-2008, 03:26 PM
96 EX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Refurbished SRS Controller/Modules - Final Verdict

Anybody use this place http://www.airbagsystems.com/computer.html ?

The say for no more than $100 they'll repair the SRS computer ... I called and they "claim" a life time warranty (but could not show/send it to me yet).

My SRS light comes and goes, had it reset once, came back the same day ... won't send out any codes, even paid to let Honda T/S ... they couldn't get any info out of the computer though they claimed all the wiring is good.

Last edited by 96 EX; 11-28-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:48 PM
stereo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the SCS connector shorted (blue 2 pin plug behind glovebox) it should flash the trouble code with the key on. if theres no codes the srs computer might not have power...check the fuses at the inside fuse box and that the yellow in secure. after that look for a computer from a junk yard as I do not trust a srs computer that has blown a bag to work right even after it's reset you think does it really work?
Old 09-13-2008, 07:36 PM
96 EX

The computer from the boneyard is also $100 with absolutely no gaurantees or warranties that it even works ...

Just trying to find if anyone has used a refurb service similar to what I found on-line.

The SRS still comes and goes ... no codes ... I jump the pin and the CEL comes on but no codes.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:41 PM
stereo

the people at the better ones should have a warranty that their usit is good but not that it will take care of your problem ...they are good until the bags deploy or gets wet if in fact that is your problem to start with as your SRS light will come on and stay on even if the computer is not plugged in... and 99% of the time no codes is power or ground issue...also what are you the SCS connector ? the srs light should go out and start flashing a few seconds if not it might not be getting power at all..or the computer doesn't see the jumper on the SCS for some reason ...does the MES have any effect on clearing the code?
Old 09-14-2008, 06:00 PM
96 EX

I'm going to look up the pins again and verify power/gnd is good ... there's no cause for the light ... just came on one day. It goes out periodically but usually just comes right back on. Had it cleared one time, went out for about 10min ... came back on ... wouldn't reset after that. The dealer T/S and said it wasn't communicating at all ... hard light too.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:56 PM
96 EX

Update ... after verifying power and gnd to the unit, I mailed it off and got an email from them for payment info. Will let you all know how this turns out ($112 total).
Old 11-28-2008, 04:58 PM
96 EX

My journey is finally over, fixed the car. There are some lessons to be learned from the folks on the web who claim they can fix SRS modules.

BLUF: If you want the moral of the story, here it is -- buy NEW parts from Honda, the site everyone uses is much cheaper than the dealers.

I mailed off the bad SRS module to afore mentioned company, they quick turned it back to me for $112 ($12 shipping) ... put it in, did exactly what it was doing before I sent it to them ... wouldn't reset, no codes ... nothing. Called them up, told them the issue, had good power and grounds ... they agreed to fix another box they had in the shop and send it to me for free (cool, right?)

Got the 2nd box, put it in ... resets, but has codes now "1-3" for a bad drivers side bag or reels. I send off to the same company for the simulator resistor ($33) ... takes about a week to get it ... start isolating the bags and the reels ... still getting "1-3" ... shoot the wiring per the fault tree ... all checks good ... book says "bad box".

I pull out the 2nd box and look at the writing on the bottom of it ... guess what it says "per conversation 2/22/07 shows dtc 1-3" ... so how do you think I feel about that!? I call them up, tell them the issue and the lack of confidence I have in their ability to repair these boxes ... they disagree with my thoughts but agree to take the box back and refund me my $100.

I buy the new one from Honda, put it in ... works like a champ ... so, be ware of what you think you might be saving when it comes to SRS parts.

Happy Holidays All!!
Old 11-29-2008, 09:48 PM
stereo

thats the main reason I would buy a new unit from honda or a used one from a wrecking yard (local) as long as they will stand behind it as I had good luck with used ones as I was able to test them in the car... as for the companys that reset the SRS computers all they do is erase the trouble codes (code 10) airbags deployed I can even do that as it's just a EEPROM but if the computer has a problem like yours where it's dead (no codes) or like your second one with a DTC that won't clear they do not know how to repair the bad unit only wipe out the deployed hard code and hope that the bags will deploy next time as Honda doesn't think it will thats why the hard code...
Old 01-02-2010, 01:11 PM
lovemydelsol

96EX,
So, where did you purchase the SRS module for your car?
May I please have the site name? Was it http://www.cheaphondaparts.com/?

I have 95 Honda DelSol Si that needs a new SRS module...and I've been debating for the past month or so whether or not to buy a new SRS module vs an used module, and I have also considered http://www.airbagsystems.com/computer.html that you mentioned...but I really don't need to waste my time with folks who claim to fix my SRS computer. I think that you were wise to purchase a new SRS module. I will probably do the same to take care of my SRS warning light.

I also would like to know if there were any precautionary measures you took to replace the SRS module other than disconnecting battery.
The more details, the better.

Thanks for your time!

95 Honda DelSol Si - 83K miles.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:00 PM
ggabriel02

Automobile should motion refurbished SRS Controller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
----------------------------------------------------
Auto Parts