Old 09-06-2008, 03:17 PM
AcuraLsSE
ASE Certified

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default overheating problem *UPDATE*

So I searched and found out some useful information that I will try such as:
Check to see if the fan is working
Bleed the coolant to release any air bubbles

Someone had also told me that my radiator cap my not be holding pressure. Its not leaking at all so could this still be a problem? I have replaced the thermostat and thermostat sensor.

The reason I am making a new thread is to get input on what my gauge is doing. I can drive that car for about 15 minutes and it will be fine. Then when its at normal operating tempter and i step on the gas at all the needle jumps to just under the H. Any ideas?

I'm going to check the to things listed above and get back tonight.

Last edited by AcuraLsSE; 09-17-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:11 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the rad cap isn't holding pressure, the expanding coolant will drain into the reservoir first. That doesn't necessarily mean you'll see a leak. More importantly, the lack of pressure will lower the boiling point of the coolant/water mix, decreasing its latent heat absorption.

Sounds to me like the thermostat isn't opening fully, or you may have air trapped in there.

With the engine dead cold, remove the radiator cap and start the engine.
Let it idle until the coolant temp fan switch cycles at least once. Any air in the system will migrate to the open radiator; check on the car regularly to ensure it doesn't run low or belch coolant onto the paint.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 09-06-2008, 07:07 PM
AcuraLsSE
ASE Certified

Well I ran the car with the cap off for about 15 minutes. I didn't see one bubble come up, the fan never came on and the car sat at normal operating temp. I just replaced the rad cap and am about to go drive it around to see what she does. some pics of the old and new one.

The gap where the little rubber used to be.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010110.1.jpg (184.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg
P1010113.1.jpg (99.5 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by AcuraLsSE; 09-06-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:45 PM
AcuraLsSE
ASE Certified

OK, well I just drove a loop around the city and the temp gauge showed normal temp. I just got home and popped the hood to feel how hot everything was and almost got a burn when I touched the valve cover. I THINK its hotter than normal but I don't really have anything to judge by. When I replaced the thermostat, I also replaced the sensor. Is there another sensor that could be giving a false reading? I have to drive out of town tonight and don't want to ask my parents to lend me there cars.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Lynxs1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's 2 sensor's for that. One is for the temp gauge and right next to it is the one that controls the fans.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:16 PM
AcuraLsSE
ASE Certified

Although I needed to replace the radiator cap, It was not the problem. I ended up taking it to a shop. They said the problem was bad grounds on the battery, engine, and tranny.

I found out it was electrical when I had been driving around and saw it jump up to H and back down. I turned off the car and tired to start it back up. The left side of my dash lights were all dim and the car wouldn't start. So I turned the key on and off over and over again until they all came on normal. The car would start up and be just fine for a little bit. The shop charged me $83 for an hour of labor.