Notices

'97 GS-R Oxygen sensors

Old 09-01-2008, 08:29 AM
terafied

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 GS-R Oxygen sensors

We think that's our problem ... does this model use two sensors?

Anyone know?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:26 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Yes. It does.

But before you start throwing parts at the problem blindly, what's going on?
Assuming the Check Engine Light has illuminated, have you pulled the error codes?

If so, what are they?

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:31 AM
terafied

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
Yes. It does.

But before you start throwing parts at the problem blindly, what's going on?
Assuming the Check Engine Light has illuminated, have you pulled the error codes?

If so, what are they?

Unfortunately no .. haven't done that. My father is going to work on it and we don't know anything about engine codes, or how to pull them.

My "check engine" light has been steadily lit for a month, but no real symptoms (except a somewhat rough idle). Then last week as I was accelerating to merge onto the highway, the light began flashing and acceleration was difficult. It will drive at slow speeds okay, but I have it parked waiting for repair.

Naturally, this couldn't be a worse possible time for us, financially ... otherwise I'd take it to a mechanic.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:21 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by terafied
Unfortunately no .. haven't done that. My father is going to work on it and we don't know anything about engine codes, or how to pull them.
If you can drive the car to your local Auto Zone or Kragen or other auto parts store, virtually all of them will let you borrow an OBD-2 port scanner to retrieve the error codes that are stored when the Check Engine Light (CEL) comes on.

Do this first. Otherwise, you are wasting time and money by guessing at the problem. The On-Board Diagnostics system is designed to expedite repair by giving you detailed information; use it to your advantage.

My "check engine" light has been steadily lit for a month, but no real symptoms (except a somewhat rough idle). Then last week as I was accelerating to merge onto the highway, the light began flashing and acceleration was difficult.It will drive at slow speeds okay, but I have it parked waiting for repair. ...
None of those symptoms indicate a oxygen sensor failure. At most, you'd see a drop in fuel economy if the O2 sensor was reading incorrectly.

Come back to us once you have the CEL codes in hand.
Also, which model trim is your 97 Integra?

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 09-01-2008, 12:34 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a GS-R. You have 2 sensors, one before the cat and one after the cat. Scan the codes and make sure it actually is the O2 sensor/s failing otherwise you're wasting time and money. If it IS one of those sensors, spray them liberally with PB blaster(this works the best) a few days before the replacement, this will help break them loose.