FooD2000
Still Water

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery

1997 gsr.

1. new battery.
2. new alternator.
3. new battery pos/neg cables.

The battery keeps dying if i let it sit for 1 or more days without running the car. So basically i have something draining the battery, the only things i can think of is the alarm (4 years old haven't had a problem until now), the starter or maybe my amp but i've replaced the amp.

Any ideas as to what's causing my battery to lose charge? if so, how do i go about checking?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:16 PM
jesusublime99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say try disconnecting any extra equipment one by one to start off. Disconnect the amp power cable from the battery and let it sit for a day. Then unplug the alarm and let it sit see what happens.

I hate electric problems.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:11 AM
Spec R

just because they're new doesnt mean they might be defective also.

dont count out the fact that any, or any combination of the new parts may also be bad also.

this happened to me when i had the optima yellowtop batteries.

first one died within a year and i was in denial like "its a yellow top, its supposed to live forever". i got a replacement, which died a month or so later. so i checked my car for all sorts of stupid things, but it turned just to be the yellow tops. once a dry cell loses its charge, thats it, its a goner. i think they have been discontinued because there were so many failures.

Last edited by Spec R; 08-30-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:13 PM
FooD2000
Still Water

Originally Posted by Spec R
just because they're new doesnt mean they might be defective also.

dont count out the fact that any, or any combination of the new parts may also be bad also.

this happened to me when i had the optima yellowtop batteries.

first one died within a year and i was in denial like "its a yellow top, its supposed to live forever". i got a replacement, which died a month or so later. so i checked my car for all sorts of stupid things, but it turned just to be the yellow tops. once a dry cell loses its charge, thats it, its a goner. i think they have been discontinued because there were so many failures.

Both good advice, i'll disconnect the amp and see, then the starter and then the alarm and see if i could single one of those out.

Electrical problems are the worst.

THanks.