Notices

Some general questions from a potential buyer

Old 12-01-2002, 02:09 PM
lubs
Jack of few trades

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some general questions from a potential buyer

We currently have a 1999 Accord EX V6 and are looking to buy another vehicle to compliment it. Having really liked the Accord I'm considering the Acura TL. Another option is the RL. I'm looking to buy used, so I have some questions regarding differences between the 99, 00, and 01 TLs.

Here are the Qs:
What year did they change the tailights from red and yellow to red and white? I really prefer the red and white, I feel it looks much better.

How is the stock sound system in the TL? I believe it's made by Bose. Does it come with a changer, how many speakers, is there a sub?

How's the tiptronic transmission?

How's the rear seat space? Comfortable, cramped?

What year did they change the grill and headlights? I believe it was the 02 model year.

Does anyone have the navigation system? Is it worth it?

Any general comments on the car would also be appreciated.
Old 12-01-2002, 04:04 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

What year did they change the tailights from red and yellow to red and white? I really prefer the red and white, I feel it looks much better.

(It was changed during the 2002 model year.)

How is the stock sound system in the TL? I believe it's made by Bose. Does it come with a changer, how many speakers, is there a sub?

(It sounds ok for a stock system. 5 speakers including one subwoofer. Changer is optional.)

How's the tiptronic transmission?

(The sportshift tranny is fun, I used it all the time.)

How's the rear seat space? Comfortable, cramped?

(The rear seating is pretty spacious and comfortable.)

What year did they change the grill and headlights? I believe it was the 02 model year.

(Changed in 2002.)

Does anyone have the navigation system? Is it worth it?

(If you do alot of driving out-of-town, yes, it is worth it.)

Any general comments on the car would also be appreciated.

(I've had the car since April 1999, been enjoying it ever since. Best car I ever had.....now 32,000 miles later, still going stronger than ever. BUY IT.)
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 12-18-2002, 02:48 PM
TopDog

Default We have a 2001

Bought it new and love it. 2 years and 37000 miles worth of love!

Ditto what Acura TL said. Additional comments: We thought it was easily worth the money over the Accord for the extra power, 5 speed auto, HID lights, etc. No problems with it or any regrets. Try it.... You'll love it!
Old 12-21-2002, 07:41 AM
tennis32828

have a 99 tl with 70,000 miles on it, and no problems at all (knock on wood). It still look and feel like brand new. The navi is worth it, it add some pass by looks. And regarding the sound system, i think it is sweet sounding........can't wait to listen to it everytime i download new music. Buy it!!!
Old 12-23-2002, 11:12 AM
MPM77

Just to add to the comments above. I believe in 2000 (correct me if I'm wrong) the car came with a 6-disc in-dash CD player with the radio. The changer as noted above was optional.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:32 PM
tedescm

When is the new model going to be released?
Old 12-30-2002, 08:19 AM
hildaq

Default New model coming out

This summer (2003).
Old 12-30-2002, 10:18 AM
lubs
Jack of few trades

Thanks to everyone who replied. We're still about a month away from making our purchase, but you guys make a strong case for the TL.

hildaq - Where did you hear about a 2003 remodel date for the TL? The poor old RL needs a remodel before the TL. Plus the TL is selling just fine. I would think they would remodel for the 2005 model year.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:15 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by lubs
hildaq - Where did you hear about a 2003 remodel date for the TL? The poor old RL needs a remodel before the TL. Plus the TL is selling just fine. I would think they would remodel for the 2005 model year.
TL sales have been dropping steadily for the past couple years. This year, it got its ass kicked by the new ES300. The RL is not a mainstream model...Honda feels the TL deserves more attention, which I agree with, since it sells 10 times more than the RL. A redesigned TL has traditionally been released a half year or so after the redesigned Accord, which it is based on. I'd look for the next TL or at least a TL prototype to debut at the New York International Auto Show in April 2003 and it to go on sale sometime between June and August 2003.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:05 PM
lubs
Jack of few trades

First off, why the hell does this form have a bloody reset button? I'll let you imagine why I ask.

98CoupeV6 - You bring up some good points. Honda undoubtedly gives special attention to their bread and butter models (Civic, Accord and now the TL). This is what makes these cars top of class, or in close competition with top of class. So yes, it would definitely make sense for a remodel of the TL if market share is being lost to newcomers like the G35 and updated competitors like the ES300 as you mentioned.

If the new Accord is any indication, a remodelled TL would be very similar to the current generation. The changes in the Accord were more like modifications than overhauls; not by any means to say insignificant, however. The basic setup of the car, the chassis, the engine block, and the suspension setup, has not been changed. The engine has been tweaked with a new intake, iVTEC, and has been strengthened for another 500 rpm to redline. But it's still pretty much the same J30. Other changes in the car have been amenities, and overall size (and subsequently space). So speculatively I would imagine the new TL would be very much the current TL with similar changes. More power, more space, more luxury. I would bet the current J32 block would be used again, and Honda will probably introduce class-leading power output. Using iVTEC, I can see the engine producing over 260 horses, perhaps something in the 280 range.

As for the RL, it may not sell much, but it still makes an image for the company. As the so-called flagship it indicates Acura is not quite with it, which couldn't be further from the truth. TL owners need something greater to aspire to than the current RL. I occasionally flip through old car mags and read tales of a 4.0 L V8 AWD RL. Fallacy of course, but we're all allowed to dream.