Notices

96 Accord front bumper cover replacement

Old 08-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Koosmar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Accord front bumper cover replacement

I want to replace my front bumper cover which was damaged. My Hanes manual tells me I need to remove the front head light assembly, and that is true as there are two additional plastic inserts with plastic screws below each of them in addition to the one below the turn signal assembly and the 3 that are below the grill. So, turning to my Hanes manual to remove the head light assembly it tells me I have to remove the front bumper cover. I look, and sure enough, from what I can see, I need to remove the front bumper cover to get to the fastening screws that hold that housing to the frame. How can this be??? How did it get assembled in the first place? Now, I can rip the front bumper cover holes in those 4 places below the front head light assembly to remove the damaged one, but I really don't want to put in the new one with those 4 mounting points not securing the bumper cover. But to use those 4 points, I would need to remove the headlight assembly. Again, not a problem after ripping out the old front bumper cover, but putting them back in, how with the new cover in place?
Old 08-21-2008, 03:42 PM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

i've read this three times now and i gotta tell you i'm completely confused on what your asking. The headlight assembly does have some bolts behind the bumper cover you can't see. So you have to remove the front bumper cover to take out the headlight assemblies.

What 4 points do you keep referring to? The headlight assembly or is this for the bumper cover.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:43 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

OMG I thought they'd stopped with the "wtf were they thinking" front bumper cover designs by that year.

I'm guessing that when you put the new one on, you will push and snap it into place in a couple areas (maybe, just a guess as that's how many cars are) so that once the old one is off, replacing it will be much easier. However, even if that is that case, not sure how to get the old one off w/out Fing things up :hs:

Can you just cut the old one in the areas that you're having difficulty with? That way you can get the old off, and have better access to remove whatever, get rid of the bits of bumper cover that are left, then put it all back in place before snapping the new one on (and then securing it with the obvious, easily removed screws).

Last edited by A-series; 08-22-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:15 PM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

i agree, go at it with the dremel with no fear! And of course unbolt the obvious bolts and screws. I wouldn't go by a haynes manual though, those are about useless to be truthful. Look into a chilton's or see if can find a shop manual to it.