Notices

New Suspension Setup

Old 11-29-2002, 02:53 PM
OSGP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Suspension Setup

Due to uneven fender gap with Koni Reds & Eibach Pro-Kit (2-finger gap on rears and 4-FINGER GAP on FRONTS!!!), I decided to change out the Pro-Kit and got a set of Skunk 2 coil-overs and kept the Koni Reds. It's been about 5 days now and here's my impression:

The look's great! Now I have tight 2-finger gap all around and the car looks more aggressive.

The ride's firmer and more solid, not too harsh or choppy. Doesn't feel too bad on real rough roads. Again SOLID is the word. The ride doesn't feel cheap or hollow like stock, it feels like an European tuned sport car, comparable to my wife's CLK 55 AMG. BTW, I am running on 195/55/15s and guess that's a factor too. It makes my HB feel really light and quick and tight.

However It's definetely more bouncier than before. Going over small humps are okay, but big humps will toss me around the seat like salad or like riding a roller coaster. I guess it's unavoidable due to shorter springs in COs. Heard that once the spring settles in, it'll be less bouncy. Hopefully that's the case. Anyone knows if Gound Control's less bouncy? Can it be corrected if I raise th ride?

So far I'm quite satisfy with the new Skunk 2 kit. I'll give it an 8 out of 10.
Old 11-29-2002, 03:30 PM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

I'm guessing it'll be less bouncy if you raise it a bit.

From what I've heard, the Ground Controls will be a little bit more comfortable than the Skunk2's, but the Skunk2's will handle better.

Also, you might want to upgrade your shocks to Koni Yellows :thumbup:

If you do and you want to sell your Koni Reds, I'm first in line
Old 11-29-2002, 06:03 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

Default Re: New Suspension Setup

Originally posted by OSGP
toss me salad
I dunno why I thought this would be funny :doh:
Old 11-29-2002, 08:05 PM
b00gers

wow a hatch with koni reds and skunk2s comparable to then CLK 55 AMG. i gotta get me some of thems. :fawk:

ground control offer custom spring rates...so they can or cannot be more stiff than the skunk2s.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:40 PM
FDragger
the F is a secret :shhh:

GC's are more comfy because they use better springs. skunk2's have been known to be bouncy when lowered too much. also, a good set of adjustable shocks like koni yellows would help a little