Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

My Honda Michelin Challenge Civic

Old 11-28-2002, 04:44 AM
civic44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Honda Michelin Challenge Civic

I'm a new member of this site as of yesterday.

My Civic

If that site is overloaded, try
Smaller page

Some of you older guys might remember a race series from 1976 until about 1991 involving only Civics. It was called the Honda Michelin Challenge series. The cars were stock except for safety equipment. It was an inexpensive way to get into motorsports. Anyway, last year I bought one of these cars, a 1988 DX hatch. The point was to use it to get into road racing without spending much. All I did was buy shocks and springs, remove the interior, add a seat and a harness and a few other things, and that was it. Later in the year I changed the final drive in the tranny, but it has always been low budget modifications. I'm still using the original 1.5 SOHC, but it runs fine. I also bought 8 alloy wheels from the 1993 Civic VX as they were cheap and extremely light.

Well, the car did great in its first year. I got my EMRA road race license and drove in their road races at Shannonville and Watkins Glen. The car will be stored for the winter now, but I can't wait to bring it out again next year.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:49 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

i'm planning on doing the echc but that won't happen for a couple years (need to get my competition license, get my car in tip top condition, and let my son get a little older so he can come along on the weekend races).

this year though i'll be at several echc races taking driving school lessons and hanging out with other racers

good luck
Old 11-28-2002, 09:18 AM
civic44

I've been thinking of trying out that series, but it's so frikkin far away from Montreal. It looks like a great series. Another advantage is that they accept the EMRA licence which I already have.

If you're thinking of doing it, you should start going to a few NASA HPDE's. It's a requirement for the license school anyway so you might as well have some fun while you wait...