Notices

harmonic balancer question

Old 08-01-2008, 05:59 PM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default harmonic balancer question

So i didn't just think of this till now.

One i saw the price of the water pump, tensioner, timing belt and what not and realized how cheap they are. I thought for sure it was almost 500 dollars worth of parts. So i've decided to fix the engine rather than let it puke on me one day while i'm out somoene and have to get a tow truck..........

Everything is simple enough and then i thought of this cause we had this issue a few days ago on my friends intrepid we went out and i got him a 3 claw jaw puller for his balancer and then it dawned on me.

How does one get a harmonic balancer to stay stationary while you break the bolt loose. I've seen a chain wrench but i donk't know how that keeps it from moving. Obviously the chain gets tight and it can't move but i wold imagine you have to brace the thing somehow????????/

but anyway since i'm doing this on the accord there are two tools i dont' have i'm sure i'll need. One the thingy that holds the pulley stationary so i can break it loose (i'm sure i'm not supposed to use a impact but might need insight on this as well) and then i have a puller, but to put it back on what type of pulley installer do i need. Cause i dont' remember perfect but i swear you need a special tool to get it back on. Anyhelp accord buds?
Old 08-02-2008, 08:04 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Look at the crank pulley; theres a big hex-shape hole in the front. The tool for holding the pulley has a big (55mm?) hex-lug that goes in there. Then there's a hole big enough for a socket for the center bolt.

But a lot of people use an impact wrench instead. A powerful impact can loosen the bolt without turning the crankshaft - that's the important thing.

The ones that I've done, once the bolt is loose, the pulley slides off the shaft easily so you don't need a puller. Same way, it slides back on without a tool.

Just don't lose that little key that fits in the grooves of the crankshaft & the pulley.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:28 AM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so what, just leave all the belts on and try to break it loose with my 1/2" first? I noticed the huge hex nut indentation earlier when i was changing the tranny fluid. Looks like all i really have to do is take off the left engine mount and possibly unbolt the front engine mount and tip it low enough that i can get to what i need to there.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:55 PM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your 1/2" what?

Take off the plastic fender liner to reach what you need. Youll need to remove the engine mount ("front" of the engine, left side of car) in order to remove the timing cover anyway.

If you get a crank holding tool, let it wedge against the ground or something. It'll feel like your breaker bar or socket is about to break.