Notices

Possible brake controller problem

Old 07-25-2008, 07:40 PM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible brake controller problem

Ok well i've replaced all the tail light bulbs but for some reason my CHMSL doesn't turn on when i press on the brakes. I haven't checked for power there but besides the tail and brake controller, is there anything else in the middle of that connection. I know that the third brake light usually has a relay for it but thats what the brake controller does i'm assuming. What do you guys make of it?
Old 07-29-2008, 06:46 PM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

i still have this issue, anybody?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:40 PM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nah, nobody's here.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:46 PM
JimBlake

I figure on a 1991 its a direct spliced connection somewhere. There's no multiplexers or stuff like that. Probably not a relay. Look for crimp connections that are corroded or dirty.

Is the CHMSL in the window or on a spoiler? Maybe a broken wire after repeated flexing from 17 years of opening the trunk?

The 'controller' might be the little module that triggers a warning lamp if a bulb is burned out? I don't think that has any role in switching the lamps on & off.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:47 AM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

ahh ok, thank you sir. Its the High mount in the back window. Deck spoiler works without any LED's out suprisingly. I'll poke around this weekend. I just hate having stuff on my dash being on. Like check engine lights, brake lights, brake lamp...............

call me picky but i like being happy knowing everything is operating as it should.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:03 AM
JimBlake

So... there IS a spoiler with brake light?

I vaguely remember that when the spoiler is installed the CHMSL from the window is supposed to be disconnected & removed??

Last edited by JimBlake; 07-30-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:07 AM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

i've heard that but my parents have a '99 camry with both an operating deck light and spoiler light, my '88 mx6 has a deck light and a spoiler light and the accord has a light in the deck with a harness and what not and a spoiler light. Plus i'm sure honda or someone would have jumped the connection to make the BCM to think all the lights are working in the circuit when the brake pedal is pressed. I took a sick day to do some stuff for school so sincei have about 6 hours before class i'll go out and check out real quick like. Maybe i can figure this out for you guys.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:04 AM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

damnitation. I checked for some breaks in the wires, took out the deck and speakers and checked there. However i think i'm getting closer to my problem. The wire harness seems to spread out just under the passenger speaker which shorted out a few days ago but seems to work fine again. I'm guessin gi have an issue somewhere in the passenger quater panel area. I'll update when i screw with it again.

Its 80 something and raining outside. Extremely muggy conditions make want to do other stuff. Like chill inside and rock out Gran Turismo 4..........