Notices

Regrease Front Wheel Bearing? Need a Press?

Old 07-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Josher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regrease Front Wheel Bearing? Need a Press?

1996 Acura Integra LS 157,000 miles

If you 've seen my other post, I think my passenger's side wheel bearing is going, as I get a humming, wooshing sound that gets worse the faster you go. I don't know for sure yet, but figured I'd get as much info as possible before I start the job in a few days.

Is it possible for me to just regrease the bearing? A big stretch here, but I know that with rollerblades when you're feeling slower or your bearings are noisey, you clean and regrease them. If yes, what kind of grease? Some type of high heat I would imagine.

I've read on the HAN forums that these bearings are pressed into the knuckle, but I've seen a few users that say you can replace the bearing without a press. Any thoughts on this? Will a hammer, rubber mallet, some wood and properly positioned pipes, etc force the hub and bearing out? I ask because the NAPA near me quoted $65 per side to remove and replace the bearings if I bring them the hub. They have bearings for $55 or $76.

Should I replace both front bearings at the same time?

I know I now have 2 posts, but since the other one is a work in progress, I figured I'd start a new post for a new topic.

Thanks All!
Old 07-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Lynxs1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure it is a non-servicable part. Meaning they have to be replaced. They're a sealed bearing so you can't regrease the. You could do it yourself with a jack setup/hammer and such, just be careful not to destroy the new bearings.