Notices

Rubbing Sound When Driving - Not the Brakes

Old 07-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Josher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing Sound When Driving - Not the Brakes

Dear All,

When I drive my 96 Integra LS, 157k, there's a wooshing, rubbing sound coming from the front passenger side tire. Thinking it was an issue with the brakes, as I've had some slider pins seize on me before, I changed both the front brake pads and rotors. The car was in need of front brakes anyways, so at least that's done. The wooshing, rubbing sound still remains though.

Interestingly, when I turn the steering wheel to make a right-turn, the sound stops. The second I straighten the steering wheel or turn left, the sound returns.

I know this was a bad idea, but I also put the car in drive while it was on the jacks. I still heard the wooshing sound, so I don't think it has anything to do with the tires, which are only 6 months old now.

What else should I check?

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Spec R

CV joints/axle/driveline related.. pretty darn sure. the steering wheel to the right part was a good hint.

i could still be wrong tho.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Josher

Hmmm. Do you know how I'd check the "CV joints/axle/driveline" or any ways to test what part is failing. From a visual inspection, I don't see any broken or leaking boots or dry rotted bushings. I'll spend some more time looking through my helms manual. I have never done any work with suspension and steering.

One thing I might do tomorrow is check the passenger's side brake caliper (the wooshing side) for a sticking piston. I did notice the piston was more difficult to push in than the driver's side when I did the brake job.

If it was an issue with a sticking piston though, why would turning the steering wheel slightly to the left cause the problem to disappear?

With an old car that's been problem free for a year, I guess it was time for multiple issues...

Thanks for any thoughts or help you might have.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Lynxs1981

Inner fender lining?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Josher

Originally Posted by Lynxs1981
Inner fender lining?
Thanks for the post, but all the plastic is properly secured so that it doesn't rub on the tire. After searching the HAN forums some more along with Google, I think my issue is the wheel bearing.

With 157k, this would seem to make sense, especially with the noise disappearing when turning. What do you guys think?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Lynxs1981

You could jack up the front end, grab the front wheel at the top and bottom and try to wiggle it. If it moves or you hear it kinda click, then the bearings need to be replaced. You don't need to yank on it, just slightly back and forth.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Josher

You could jack up the front end, grab the front wheel at the top and bottom and try to wiggle it. If it moves or you hear it kinda click, then the bearings need to be replaced. You don't need to yank on it, just slightly back and forth.
Thanks, the front passenger side does wiggle (tires off) side to side a little bit. Looks like it's time to replace a wheel bearing!
Old 07-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Lynxs1981

Side to side could be a tie rod end also, that's why I advised moving it from top to bottom. That puts stress on the bearing only.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:15 AM
Josher

Side to side could be a tie rod end also, that's why I advised moving it from top to bottom. That puts stress on the bearing only.
I didn't realize this! I'll do the top and bottom wiggle test as well. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2008, 06:21 PM
KateIntegra

i had a "wheel well" go bad once that made the most bizarre hollow noise on the front passenger wheel...?