Notices

Weird sound in engine, I do not think its a knock

Old 07-21-2008, 08:51 AM
smgtech
Honda Powered.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird sound in engine, I do not think its a knock

Hello Honda-Acura.net!

I got a funny washing machine/grinding sound in my engine...when you put a Stethoscope up to the auto tranny you can hear the sound...when you put in on the engine block you can barely hear it...and when you put it on the timing belt part you can hear the timing belt tensioner whine. Anyways I got a99 Accord 4cyl has anyone had any problems that resemble this sound? Clues at what I am looking at fixing?

Thanks,
smgtech.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:59 PM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

almost sounds like a bearing maybe, either that or something is low on fluid. Check your fluid levels first as that might be a simple fix. If not, its probably tensioner bearings. How many miles does the engine have and when was the last time the belt was done. If its over 150,xxx and nobody has changed teh belt that probably means the tensioners life is nearing the engine.

Another idea might be the power steering. If will make a mild to loud grinding sound like a supercharger if it get low as its starting to get air in the system. I'm sticking with an engine related bearing though.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:06 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Where on the tranny do you put the stethoscope to hear it best? I'm thinking bearings in the tranny.

Timing belt tensioner noise may be normal from the teeth on the belt. The tensioner is smooth; runs on the outside of the belt where there's no teeth. For a bad bearing, expect more of a whooshing noise, not a distinct pitch.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:04 AM
smgtech
Honda Powered.

Fluids are ok I check that and change that when needed. I bought the car 2 months ago it has no problems other than that sound at Idle. It currently has 159000 miles on it. JimBlake it is a whooshing noise. When I place the stethoscope on the big part that is most visible to the eye on the tranny I can hear it. When I place it on the engine block you can not hear it as much. When you place it on the tbelt you get the normal engine and a small whooshing sound with a grind too and it also pitches. I was wondering if this could be a balancer shaft that is bent? I know I need to do the tbelt changed but this sounds like more than just a tbelt. It only does it when its in Neutral or in park. When its in drive or reverse it is very very faint. And you can not hear it going down the road. Maybe that info can narrow it down.

Thank you.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:28 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you change the timing belt, you'll have a chance to check out the bearings in there. Two tensioner pulleys & a waterpump are the bearings that are accessible. The actual balance-shaft bearings are in the engine so I expect you would hear them with the stethoscope on the engine block.

I'm not much of an auto-tranny guru at all. For all I know THAT noise is normal because of the fluid being pumped around thru all the valves & stuff. The "big part" of the tranny would be the bellhousing?? The torque-converter is in there and that thing is all about fluid churning around.

Last edited by JimBlake; 07-24-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 AM
DOZ5

What color is the tranny fluid AND does it smell burnt?

It should be red and smell like regular oil. Any sign of burnt smell should indicate a problem. I assume you don't have a leak and oil level stay on level.