Notices

need new tranny...

Old 11-20-2002, 11:28 AM
crucial Si
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need new tranny...

im gonna change out my oil to MTF from honda, and if it still is bad im just gonna buy a new tranny. well i rather have a tranny from 6th gen EX, my question is are the gearing differently? what is a good price?
Old 11-20-2002, 11:39 AM
Jkan2001
S2000 Pilot

Default Re: need new tranny...

Originally posted by crucial Si
im gonna change out my oil to MTF from honda, and if it still is bad im just gonna buy a new tranny. well i rather have a tranny from 6th gen EX, my question is are the gearing differently? what is a good price?

the gearing is the same for the 5th and 6th gen EX's. The 5th gen SI is almost identical to the 5th and 6th gen EX's except 2nd gear is a TINY bit shorter in the SI. I wouldn't pay over 250 shipped...i got my first one for 150 and my 2nd one for 200. If you find a DX one in good shape i'll trade ya for my 5th gen SI one....just let me know soon cause my new clutch is going on this weekend
Old 11-20-2002, 11:41 AM
crucial Si
Banned

Default Re: Re: need new tranny...

Originally posted by Jkan2001
the gearing is the same for the 5th and 6th gen EX's. The 5th gen SI is almost identical to the 5th and 6th gen EX's except 2nd gear is a TINY bit shorter in the SI. I wouldn't pay over 250 shipped...i got my first one for 150 and my 2nd one for 200. If you find a DX one in good shape i'll trade ya for my 5th gen SI one....just let me know soon cause my new clutch is going on this weekend
u wrag on your shiit to much i need to do my clutch also, so if i get a tranny soon ill do it at the same time if not, ill go ahead and do the clutch and wait until i find a tranny. its cheaper to do a tranny swap than it is to get the scycros redone.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:46 AM
Jkan2001
S2000 Pilot

Default Re: Re: Re: need new tranny...

u wrag on your shiit to much i need to do my clutch also, so if i get a tranny soon ill do it at the same time if not, ill go ahead and do the clutch and wait until i find a tranny. its cheaper to do a tranny swap than it is to get the scycros redone.

yep, gotta drive it like you stole it. Actually my friend broke my first tranny at the track cause has a old schoo CJ7 jeep and you gotta rip that thing to get it into gear. My 2nd tranny was a dud, the synchros took a big dump on me when i was just driving normally shifting from 1st to 2nd @ 4000 rpms. I'm pretty sure my clutchmasters stage 3 is gonna break something when i put it in

Either way, i did a lot of research while i was breaking trannys and you benefit from it so don't complain

But yeah...DEFINETELY get a clutch when your new tranny is going in, i really regret not doing that and now i get to pay another 200 to get my clutch put in. SOHC trannys are a dime a dozen, don't even bother rebuilding it...just toss it through someone's window that you hate :thumbup:
Old 11-20-2002, 11:52 AM
crucial Si
Banned

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: need new tranny...

Originally posted by Jkan2001
Either way, i did a lot of research while i was breaking trannys and you benefit from it so don't complain

But yeah...DEFINETELY get a clutch when your new tranny is going in, i really regret not doing that and now i get to pay another 200 to get my clutch put in. SOHC trannys are a dime a dozen, don't even bother rebuilding it...just toss it through someone's window that you hate :thumbup:
yeah im just fawking w/ you.

i have an exedy street disc/pp sitting in my room, ive had it for a while, but my clutch wont burn out, ive been wragging on it and riding it alot and its still the same, but my pp is getting bad. my boy wont help me change my clutch at his shop unless its really bad :squint:

will i beable to take out second gear and switch them?
Old 11-20-2002, 12:47 PM
Jkan2001
S2000 Pilot

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: need new tranny...

yeah im just fawking w/ you.

i have an exedy street disc/pp sitting in my room, ive had it for a while, but my clutch wont burn out, ive been wragging on it and riding it alot and its still the same, but my pp is getting bad. my boy wont help me change my clutch at his shop unless its really bad :squint:

will i beable to take out second gear and switch them?
is the exedy one a racing one or just an OEM replacement? Get some spray or something, i guarantee your clutch will be toast within a month...it's kind of hard to mess up a cluch on bolt ons unless you're just a complete idiot driver. How can you tell your pressure plate is bad if your clutch won't slip. Oh yeah when you get a new tranny/put in the new clutch, make sure you resurface your flywheel. Offer your buddy a pizza or something and maybe he won't be an assclown about it :thumbup:
Old 11-20-2002, 01:57 PM
Luis
Civic1.6VTEC

hey Mike, ask Joseph when we gonna work on my car. i wanna get rid of it by next year.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:58 PM
crucial Si
Banned

Originally posted by Civic1.6VTEC
hey Mike, ask Joseph when we gonna work on my car. i wanna get rid of it by next year.

next year? why? we can start on it the week after next saturday, gotta finish up my car and get it painted..ill help you.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:47 PM
Luis
Civic1.6VTEC

i wanna get rid of my car by next year.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:50 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I took my tranny to the shop, Honda wouldn't sell the synchros by themselves.. I had to buy both full shafts at $500/ea... can you guys just replace the synchros on EX trannys?

Mine's GSR btw.

Too bad for you guys.. I sold my DX tranny for $100 + shipping about a year ago... guess that doesn't help much now huh?