Notices

Thief got into my 2000 gsr

Old 07-12-2008, 02:51 PM
jimc2kgsr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thief got into my 2000 gsr

Hey.
You're not going to believe this.
I have had this 2000 GSR for 5 years now and never had anything happen except 3 times SUVs banging into my bumpers. Well, that and the clearcoat peeling off.
This morning my son was walking out to his car ( I know, I'm too old for a gsr) and noticed my hood was popped open.
We live in a really nice deed-restricted neighborhood where it's hardly necessary to lock your car. The car was parked right up next to the garage, but there were no exterior lights on and I don't have an alarm.:ugh:
Someone got my hood open somehow, without getting inside the car. When I opened the hood I was expecting the whole motor to be missing. The only thing that was taken was the top radiator hose and the thermostat assembly. I couldn't believe it.
Now I have to go to the Acura dealer and buy new parts and put them in. Of course they cost less than the deductible on the homeowners insurance.
I know a lot of people have had a lot worse done to their 'tegs by thieves and haters, but this is just stupid. It's hard to see anything wrong on this camera-phone shot, but you can see the hose connection on the radiator and the place where the thermostat bracket goes.
Jim
Old 07-12-2008, 05:40 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

That's the first time I've seen a thief do that just to steal a $10 hose and $15 thermostat. :thinking:
When they go that far, they usually take everything.

Here's come the brutal truth...

You are damned lucky that the motor was left behind.
The B18C1 under your hood is worth about $1500 to a thief who can fence it to a chop shop.
Sold through craigslist, your motor can fetch more than $2000.

Furthermore, it is very easy to pop the hood on a 94-01 Integra without breaking into the car.
The hood release cable can be accessed from within the driver's side wheel well.
Run a search to get the instructions on how to relocate it inside the engine compartment.
That alone will prevent this type of break-in.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter where you park or live.
Thieves will come to good neighborhoods to go shopping for cars.
Lock the car religiously. And get an alarm that defends the doors, hatch and hood along with a starter kill feature.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!

Last edited by TheOtherDave™; 07-12-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:57 PM
jimc2kgsr

Thanks for your reply.
I used to be very careful of where I left the car and for the first year I kept it in the garage, but with 4 cars it's really a pain as I'm usually the last one to get home a night.
The weird thing is that there are usually people walking around the neighborhood for exercise at all hours, it was a Friday night, and the dog usually barks at the littlest thing. There are some nice cars around here and I figured nobody would be interested in my old teg anymore.
I didn't know about the release cable re-route, so I'll do that and also get an alarm.
Thanks again,
Jim
Old 07-12-2008, 09:12 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by jimc2kgsr
Thanks for your reply.
I used to be very careful of where I left the car and for the first year I kept it in the garage, but with 4 cars it's really a pain as I'm usually the last one to get home a night.
The weird thing is that there are usually people walking around the neighborhood for exercise at all hours, it was a Friday night, and the dog usually barks at the littlest thing. There are some nice cars around here and I figured nobody would be interested in my old teg anymore.
I didn't know about the release cable re-route, so I'll do that and also get an alarm.
Thanks again,
Jim
No problem at all.
I think a major part of the problem is that most of the new, nicer cars are much harder to steal. The latest NCIC top 10 stolen cars list reflects it. Most are mid 90s japanese coupes and sedans.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 07-13-2008, 07:10 PM
2001TEGGSR

That is rediculious, I cannot believe somebody went to such trouble for a hose and thermostat.

As said above, the integra attracts thieves like no other. I would suggest the hood cable relocation, and a good alarm system. Unfortunately, they are easy targets for thieves. The market for parts on our cars is huge, almost bigger than the supply. That makes it very easy for stolen parts to be sold.

Just to add, you are never to old to appreciate an enjoyable, reliable car.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:42 AM
jimc2kgsr

Well, it appears the part they were really after was the thermostat housing, since that part had to be special ordered from the Acura dealer. When I was there I saw they were trying to sell an RSX-S with 50,000 miles on it for $22K. Across the street the Honda dealership is selling a brand new Civic Si (with the same motor and tranny) for the same price. Stupid.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Spec R

Originally Posted by jimc2kgsr
Well, it appears the part they were really after was the thermostat housing, since that part had to be special ordered from the Acura dealer. When I was there I saw they were trying to sell an RSX-S with 50,000 miles on it for $22K. Across the street the Honda dealership is selling a brand new Civic Si (with the same motor and tranny) for the same price. Stupid.
the awesome thing is, someone will still buy the rsx-s
Old 07-15-2008, 09:14 AM
spoon-eg-

guard it maybe he was just expecting a ls and now that he saw the gsr engine they might come back.. never know i just finished my turbo ek hatch and parked in front of my house. it was like 2 am i was trying to sleep when i heard my car make a noise. i peeked threw the window and loaded up my 12 gauge. 2 guys where in it. i ran outside with it cocked and they ran to there car. so i shot out the tire on there teg. and they still took off i called the cops and they were found changing the tire at the entrance of my neighborhood in the street. the noise i heard was them breaking the plastics covers around the steering wheel. if i wasnt awake the would have gotten it for sure.:shrug:
Old 07-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Spec R

awesome, they got caught.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:04 AM
kingiiii

why did you shoot at the tire? I bet they had to change their underwear.