Notices

98 Integra Air Conditioner Compressor Replacement

Old 07-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Bardman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Integra Air Conditioner Compressor Replacement

My compressor must be going, as it was making grinding noises whenever it was very cold outside and the car was first started. The noise would go away within a minute. My mechanic recommended the AC Compressor belt be removed if I didn't want to look into getting it fixed as that was the cheapest thing to do. Since I had that done in January and it is now hot and humid in July, I want to replace the compressor. Mechanic quoted me a price of almost $500 for a new aftermarket compressor with clutch (and another odd sounding part whose name escapes me) and belt. My local C.A.P. has an aftermarket reman compressor for $290. I don't mind getting the compressor replaced, but I don't know what I should look to get replaced. Another mechanic told me the compressor, belt, recharge, and labor would be about $550. MY mechanic (who runs a Honda/Acura only repair shop) tells me the compressor alone with the clutch and other part is $500, and with labor and recharge, the total bill is $900. Does the clutch need replacing too? My guy says not getting that done is like getting a full tuneup done without getting an alternator or waterpump. I don't want to spend close to a grand for just AC. The only work I do is oil changes and fluid checks so I don't know who to believe. Advice is what I'm looking for. Thank you.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Spec R

find out for sure if u need a compressor in the first place.

maybe you might just need a recharge.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:05 AM
Bardman

Is there a way of determining if the compressor is on its way out? The reason why I had the belt cut was because the compressor was making grinding noises when the car was started. I'm assuming that the bearings in it may be going that the compressor may seize up at any time. I'm hesitant to get a recharge and a new belt for this reason. It would be the cheaper option though.