Notices

soaking my head

Old 11-18-2002, 04:53 PM
MNY2BRN
I hate you too

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soaking my head

I have my b16 head in my shop sink downstairs with degreaser and HOT water soaking it. I just wanted it clean before i started doing my valve train. Does anyone have any suggestions as to cleaning it further and drying it? Anything would help, thanks guys.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:03 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They glass bead blasted my head when I had it done at the machine shop. I don't know if you have access to anything like that. It's perdy. :exnbp:
Old 11-18-2002, 05:11 PM
MNY2BRN
I hate you too

Originally posted by westcoaststyle
They glass bead blasted my head when I had it done at the machine shop. I don't know if you have access to anything like that. It's perdy. :exnbp:
Ypure just the guy I wanted to talk to. I saw your finished motor a while ago, looks fuggin sweet:thumbup: . I was thinkin, dissasemble the head, soak in tank one more time, and then having the body shop I wirk for clear coat it. Whatdya think? Same with the block, cam gears and misc stuff. Any suggestions you got would help westcoast.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:26 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Definately clear coat it if you have the facilities. I just painted my block and whenever it gets a smudge on it, it's a b|tch to get off. If it were clearcoated it would wipe away easier.

Also, if you're going to be cleaning up the block, be very careful what you do. There are a whole lot more channels in the block than there are in the head. If you get crap in those channels it will be a really hard time trying to get it out. I just used a wire brush and a dremel tool to clean up the block. I masked and painted that as well.

My main advice to you is: take your time and be a perfectionist. You will never get this kind of an opportunity to clean your motor as easily as you can now. Don't cut corners, don't rush it. You will be so much more happier with your work if you don't settle.

Now go my son... :thumbup:

PS: thanks for the compliments!!!
Old 11-18-2002, 05:44 PM
MNY2BRN
I hate you too

I feel like your padawan learner, thanks for the advice. I just took the head out of the tank. I'm off for the night, so I'll let you know what else I did tommorow.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:48 PM
whiteEJ8

Are y'all talking about clear powder coating? Regular automotive clear couldn't handle that much heat.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:20 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You also have to be careful when painting blocks because you can end up with improper grounding if the paint builds up over the grounding points.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:36 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Originally posted by inspyral
You also have to be careful when painting blocks because you can end up with improper grounding if the paint builds up over the grounding points.
this is true. I actually ran into that problem. You can paint those areas, just make sure to sand them down when you put the ground on.

also, they make high-temp powder coat just for this kind of application. We did it to my buddies H22 swap in his accord.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:41 AM
MNY2BRN
I hate you too

o they make the powdercoating in clear so it makes the metal all bling bling? O rdoes it look like paint?
Old 11-19-2002, 05:55 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Originally posted by MNY2BRN
o they make the powdercoating in clear so it makes the metal all bling bling? O rdoes it look like paint?
we just used some high heat spray paint that was clear coat... I used a flat gray color so that it would look like the metal. I didn't want it to look too much like paint.