Notices

Tinting The Taillights "HOWTO"

Old 11-18-2002, 05:46 AM
1999civicEX
9" member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinting The Taillights "HOWTO"

Got a question...i've been looking around for awhile now, but i havent found a product that i trust yet. Heres the deal, i got Chrome Altezza's on my Black Civic, the the problem is i am getting real sick of how much those damn altezza's stand out. My first idea was to disassemble the Altezza and paint the chrome with Glossy Black paint, but the altezza is very stubborn and doesnt want to come apart. So i figure, smoke the whole altezza to a point where it blends in with the car a bit more. My question is what is a good Product to use, and a How To would be very helpful as well. LEt me know if anyone has experience with this or knows of a good site. Thanks!.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:55 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Night shades. Found at Pep Boys, Autozone, and other shops.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:58 AM
huviduc

im my opinion id put the stock tails back on. but anyway, if you want to get them apart you will have to heat them in the oven. i put headlights in for 10 min at 200. id try like 7 or 8 or less. just be sure not to melt or warp anything. If you dont want to do that, than buy modelmaster spray paint from a hobby shop and spray that on a few coats until its dark enough. i used that on my tails and it looks good and hasnt faded or anything after about 2 months. testors paint also works pretty good.
and if you want to take them apart and want to be sure not to melt anything, buy a heat gun or try a blow dryer. they may work. you just have to heat up the glue enough to let you pull them apart. youll prob need a flathead screwdriver and you will need window sealant to seal them back up. be sure to seal them good or they will get condensation in them and look like ass.
Old 11-18-2002, 06:09 AM
oc_civic
mcc racing

if you "smoke" the WHOLE light will it not make it hard for motorist to see when you are braking? seems like in this case stock is a GREAT choice
Old 11-18-2002, 06:10 AM
br0nx finest
I drive a cb7, y0.

you mean taillight, if i read correctly he didnt mention headlights ROFL

:fawk:
Old 11-18-2002, 06:19 AM
1999civicEX
9" member

Haha, no, not my headlights, i got angel eyes and im not touching those. If i smoke them, you can still see them lights light up cause i have brighter taillight bulbs, besides new Grand Am's and other cars have dark tailights, so why can't i!? I might try doing the oven technique, but i sold my stock taillights.. I was offered $150, couldnt pass that deal up. Thanks again.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:43 AM
huviduc

i think that tinting the whole taillight will only get you a ticket. i know that in PA tinting of brake light is illigal unless done by factory. id paint the housing and maybe do a slight tinit on whole taillight if you want to.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:12 AM
EX R8ED
is whipped

Well I don't know about legality issues but I'll give you a how-to on painting the tails. I tinted my stock tails to a smoke color for a while too (removed later).

1. Go to your local hobby store and pick up Testors brand window tint spray, costs are $4-6 usually. Nightshades are like $20 where I live. Also pick up Testors clear coat spray while you're there.

2. Tape off area of tailights you want painted with painters tape found at a hardware store.

3. Clean area with rubbing alcohol and let it dry.

4. Spray window tint spray on with smooth even strokes and light coats. Apply about 3-5 coats when you're done. Don't make them too dark.

5. Apply about 3-5 coats of clear coat as well.

6. Remove tape and voila! You're done.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:14 AM
str8edgexx

just spray it with a light coat of RC car window tint, and then clear coat the crap out of it....it should give you a nice light tint, but not too illegal. We did that to my friends Lebaron's stock tail lights, and it came out nice.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:18 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Originally posted by huviduc
i think that tinting the whole taillight will only get you a ticket. i know that in PA tinting of brake light is illigal unless done by factory. id paint the housing and maybe do a slight tinit on whole taillight if you want to.
Well I ran around for a year with static cling window tint on my 6th Gen Civic Si taillights in Lancaster No problems.

But putting the taillights in the oven is not a good idea. The whole thing is plastic. The headlights are a lexan type material.