Notices

New accord owner again

Old 07-04-2008, 07:28 AM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New accord owner again

just going to be used as a DD so i can work on my turbo charged mx-6. Or rather work on putting the turbo engine in the mx-6 so i can work on it. Anyway i don't have pics at the moment because one i left the camera in my other car which is parked in our apartments overflow and two because its raining.

Its a '91 Accord coupe EX and its an auto.......... I read up a little about the "sport" mode and thats a joke. Pfft, 5 extra ponies when it only has 125 to begin with. But i do like the car, its nasty as a mofo but i've done a fair share of cleaning so far. Everything engine wise seems good. Only appears to need a vavle cover gasket. Which is good cause the clock reads 247,xxx. Needs some new front seats, new carpet since there's mold growing in little spots. He left the sunroof open for a month and didn't take the time to put the battery back in the car.

fThe car was 200 bucks because it wouldn't start. Well yesterday i cleaned up the contacts on the wires because .......well it would take a second, and i put the battery from my mazda in it to roll up the sunroof and windows. I turned to far and heard the lovely sounds of a honda trying to start but it wasn'ta slow crank. It cranked fast like my old teg or my other accord. I turned again confused and waited a second and it kicked over like bam. So i think it just had far too much resistance in the contact points. But it needs an exhaust job bad. From the cat back is gone. Just headers, cat, flexpipe....missing from that point on. I plan to hit up the junkyards this weekend, mostly pic a part and pull a part. Seems for less than a hundred bucks i could have a pretty decent 200 dollar car.

So besides the historical weak honda auto trannies anything i should be aware of. I've had a few honda's so i might get bored after my mazda project and hunt down a F22B2 just to have a newer accord motor with a vtec. I know its a SOHC but i still loved that engine. Anyway shoot away, i'll have pics for you later.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:04 AM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

o something else, i know this generation is an interference design and how much of a PIA is it to change the water pump and put a new timing chain on. I know its relatively easy but i want to make sure that if i decide to do this during the summer i don't accidentally get it off by a tooth and completely kill my head.

I know there's some timing marks that you align when its number 1 TDC correct? Cause with almost 250,000 miles i'm sure the water pump has been replaced once but with the condition it was when i picked it up i kinda doubt the dude cared enough to change the water pump when needed.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:23 PM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

Well here are pics, and i feel like i really must have a thing for honda's cause otherwise i would just junk this on the principle of how fuckin nasty it is. Anyway the number member of my car family:

i know the trunk needs to be aligned on that side, shouldnt' take but a few mins.

I spent about 2 hours cleaning the dash and throwing garbage away that was in it and it looks like this now, clearly needs more loving

here's the dash i probably spent a good 30 to 40 mins cleaning. Needs a bit of polishing but its not a major thing at the moment.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:41 AM
losiglow

Wowzers. Based on the interior I'd say a couple of bears broke into the car and made love.

With the timing belt and water pump, I haven't done it but I've heard it's quite the undertaking but by no means impossible. There are a number of horror stories about people doing it wrong (yes, having it off by a tooth) but you sound well versed in mechanical stuff so you might be able to do it. Yes, it has the timing marks but since I've never done the job I'm not too well versed in it. I've always had the dealer do mine (only once I suppose....) but being that this car is worth so little it might not be worth the $$$ to take it to the dealer.

I haven't heard of too many auto tranny trouble with the 4th gen, even for the higher mileage accords. It doesn't suprise me the ignition system was shaddy though. It's not a strong point for the 4th gens. I never had any problems with my '93 but I kept on top of it pretty well.