Notices

02 Accord V6: rear hub unit and floor mats...

Old 06-30-2008, 07:18 PM
offthahook
Reppin' the 317, SUCKA!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Accord V6: rear hub unit and floor mats...

I bought an 02 Accord EX V6 a few months ago with 67K on it. It always had this really loud "sawing" sound coming from the right rear area. I chalked it up to the car having 4 DIFFERENT tires when I got it (all same size and I replaced them) and road noise. It was the hub/bearing unit, specifically the bearings. Question I have is what would have happened if I had let it go? Is there any periodic maintenance on the unit? It looks to be all sealed, but I wonder how it went bad at or before 67K Miles! I didn't even mention the sound to the mechanic when I was having some other stuff done... he just caught it on a road test. So much quieter now. A little warning to you guys that the sound it makes when the rear hub is bad is not like a water pump bearing or a fan motor bearing. The sound is a a loud gnawing or like you're on older concrete. Hard to explain, but it's loud.

I have a set of accessory floor mats. The "nice" kind with the floor hook and grommet on the DS. My car hasn't had the floor hook installed apparently. I'm guessing I pull the carpet up and there is a roughed in female receiver for the hook. I didn't want to pull up the carpet if there has to be any drilling done; I'd leave that to an expert. I'll cut the carpet to pull the hook through, but I'm not drilling through the damn floor. Can't imagine Honda would make you drill a hole for a freaking floor mat hook. I don't have the instructions if there were any... it's got to be simple enough I hope. Any tricky stuff to pulling that portion of carpeting up?
Old 07-01-2008, 04:37 AM
DOZ5

Originally Posted by offthahook
It was the hub/bearing unit, specifically the bearings. Question I have is what would have happened if I had let it go? Is there any periodic maintenance on the unit?
If you would have let it go it would of heat up inside the bearing and sieze the wheel to the point the wheel would stop spinning.

The fact that you had a loud noise tell me that it was Really bad. What happens is you could of bump a curve or got hit on the wheel and the seals broke. Not typical but it happens. Once the seals brake you need to replace the bearing.

On the rear it is easy to replace but in front you need special tools.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:21 PM
offthahook
Reppin' the 317, SUCKA!!

Originally Posted by DOZ5
If you would have let it go it would of heat up inside the bearing and sieze the wheel to the point the wheel would stop spinning.

The fact that you had a loud noise tell me that it was Really bad. What happens is you could of bump a curve or got hit on the wheel and the seals broke. Not typical but it happens. Once the seals brake you need to replace the bearing.

On the rear it is easy to replace but in front you need special tools.
I figured it would eventually seize up on me and I'd be in a world of hurt. Glad dude found it on the road test.