Notices

Gen I Timing Belt & A/C Conversion

Old 06-10-2008, 01:39 AM
CraigK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen I Timing Belt & A/C Conversion

Hi All

I just picked up a Gen I Integra (overpaid on eBay) ’89 AT with 84,000 miles. (Gas going to $4.50/USG by the weekend?). I do most of my own auto work, so was glad to find this forum and I’ll likely be hanging out here a bit.

My initial concern is the timing belt, as I do not know if it has been replaced yet. Is there a quick way to check this? How?

If it needs replacing, I found a reference to a site that details this work on a B18-type motor. Is it basically the same procedure for replacing the t-belt on my D16A1? Differences?

What is the best manual for this type of maintenance work?

If the belt needs replacing, are there reasonably priced performance belts that will provide significantly longer wear (mileage and/or time) that the regular OEM replacement quality belts? (I’ve seen Gates belts advertised, and available with tensioner for $50. Any good?) ? If so, which brand/source might provide the best value. (I have NO intentions of ever hopping-up the engine, but for the amount of work, seems like a good idea to put in a top quality belt?)

I get changing the belt tensioner at the same time. But why the water pump also? Is it located under the timing belt? Is it usually a problem?

Any other tips/info on this issue would be appreciated.

Also, has anyone done an R-12 to R-134a conversion on their Gen I? (Gettin’ HOT, and almost no AC, but the compressor works.) Issues?
Thanx.

CraigK
Old 06-10-2008, 10:24 AM
2001TEGGSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigK
Hi All

I just picked up a Gen I Integra (overpaid on eBay) ’89 AT with 84,000 miles. (Gas going to $4.50/USG by the weekend?). I do most of my own auto work, so was glad to find this forum and I’ll likely be hanging out here a bit.

My initial concern is the timing belt, as I do not know if it has been replaced yet. Is there a quick way to check this? How?

If it needs replacing, I found a reference to a site that details this work on a B18-type motor. Is it basically the same procedure for replacing the t-belt on my D16A1? Differences?

What is the best manual for this type of maintenance work?

If the belt needs replacing, are there reasonably priced performance belts that will provide significantly longer wear (mileage and/or time) that the regular OEM replacement quality belts? (I’ve seen Gates belts advertised, and available with tensioner for $50. Any good?) ? If so, which brand/source might provide the best value. (I have NO intentions of ever hopping-up the engine, but for the amount of work, seems like a good idea to put in a top quality belt?)

I get changing the belt tensioner at the same time. But why the water pump also? Is it located under the timing belt? Is it usually a problem?

Any other tips/info on this issue would be appreciated.

Also, has anyone done an R-12 to R-134a conversion on their Gen I? (Gettin’ HOT, and almost no AC, but the compressor works.) Issues?
Thanx.

CraigK
To check the timing belt, you need to remove the valve cover. Not sure what the exact milage for replacement is, but somewhere between 80-90k is common. Check the Integra FAQ at the top of this forum for a percise answer.

The waterpump is turned by the timing belt, so it is common practice to change it at the same time. I would only use OEM Honda parts for this task. This is an interference engine your dealing with, so if the timing belt breaks you could potentially loose your engine.

As for the AC conversion, i'm not sure what is involved but if at all possible, keep the R12. It cools much better than the newer R134a. Maybe have a shop charge it for you.

http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/ - Sign up, download HELM's shop manual in PDF format.

Welcome, and good luck!