Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

need tire advice...go with Azenis?

Old 11-11-2002, 04:14 PM
AwwsChwA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need tire advice...go with Azenis?

Ok, here's the deal

a local tire guy at a Big-O tire store told me that the Falken Ziex tires were the best ones out there for autocrossing. So I bought a set, broke them in for 2 days, and then hit the track. THEY SUCK. I have never spun out before until this last sunday. Not even on my old cheapo Fisk tires.

Does anyone know anything about the Ziex? I'm gonna get some Azenis when i return these crappy-ass Ziex tires, cuz everybody, and I mean everybody, who runs on a budget uses the Azenis tires. Oh, and my tire size is a 195/60R14, and I race a 91 CRX Si with slotted rotors and H&R springs. Other than that, it's stock.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:05 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

If I'm not mistaken, the top 5-10 national STS placers run Azenis (I think there was one set of BFG's in there h: ).

If you cool them down between runs I would be confident in saying they're nearly unbeatable. Be careful about the widths you choose though; they run a bit wider than most.

Shingo
Old 11-12-2002, 02:49 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Default Re: need tire advice...go with Azenis?

Originally posted by AwwsChwA
Ok, here's the deal

a local tire guy at a Big-O tire store told me that the Falken Ziex tires were the best ones out there for autocrossing. So I bought a set, broke them in for 2 days, and then hit the track. THEY SUCK. I have never spun out before until this last sunday. Not even on my old cheapo Fisk tires.

Does anyone know anything about the Ziex? I'm gonna get some Azenis when i return these crappy-ass Ziex tires, cuz everybody, and I mean everybody, who runs on a budget uses the Azenis tires. Oh, and my tire size is a 195/60R14, and I race a 91 CRX Si with slotted rotors and H&R springs. Other than that, it's stock.
Print out the final results from Nationals and take it to your stupid tire place and show them. Everyone was running Azenis except a few on BFG KDs. I can't stand some places who are smucks! But yes the Ziex is one of the worse tires to get for autocrossing.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:16 PM
forcedinduction

Are the the 326's? If so then take them back!! I used to sell tires and the only people that got the Ziex's were the ones that had had them before and liked them. Definately not a race tire though. Go with the Azenis, just make sure you watch whoever mounts them up because the beads aren't very forgiving, especially for some noobie tire store freak.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:59 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Azenis are great summer tires...b/c thats in essence for what they are...great dry grip...but for wet/snow they are terrible...if you are going this route and you get bad weather often and are looking into daily driver tires...then the azenis aren't the best overall choice...i'd look into dunlop sp8000 that get good dry grip without compromising wet/snow grip
Old 11-15-2002, 02:57 AM
CivicSiRacer

Originally posted by jaje
Azenis are great summer tires...b/c thats in essence for what they are...great dry grip...but for wet/snow they are terrible...if you are going this route and you get bad weather often and are looking into daily driver tires...then the azenis aren't the best overall choice...i'd look into dunlop sp8000 that get good dry grip without compromising wet/snow grip
Most high performance tires are not great in the snow. But the Azenis rocked in the rain until about 4mm of tread left. I was taking off ramps and corners at 5mph less than in the dry.

of course like any tire standing water will make the tire hydroplane except for the Goodyear Aquatreds.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:50 PM
qtiger

Originally posted by CivicSiRacer
of course like any tire standing water will make the tire hydroplane except for the Goodyear Aquatreds.
S03s are quite amazing beasts in the water.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:21 AM
CivicSiRacer

Originally posted by qtiger
S03s are quite amazing beasts in the water.
Then you haven't driven Aquatreds Back on my Corolla I was running (stupid me) at 90mph down the highway in a full monsoon
Old 12-16-2002, 07:17 AM
qtiger

Originally posted by CivicSiRacer
Then you haven't driven Aquatreds Back on my Corolla I was running (stupid me) at 90mph down the highway in a full monsoon
Yeah, but what would a Aquatread skidpad at?
Old 12-16-2002, 04:28 PM
CivicSiRacer

Doesn't matter I wasn't hydroplaning