Notices

Wait for next gen ('09)???

Old 05-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Arcteryx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wait for next gen ('09)???

Anyone familiar with the new engine they are using for the '09 Fit? HP and torque have increased slightly. Ride comfort and handling is also supposed to have improved.

From purely a performance/handling standpoint, should I go with the current model or wait for the next gen? I'm not too concerned with looks, since the styling is still similar.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:51 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neither are really geared towards performance, the suspension design on both leaves much to be desired- that being said it's still a Honda and both forms are far from overwhelmingly annoying

I'd base the decision on the other aspects- the new fit is bigger, weighs a little more, and supposedly has a smoother ride. As the decision to get a Fit is generally more in the style of a minimalist or utilitarian attitude- I'd try to focus on what either one offers to that area as it's where the Fit shines
Old 06-23-2008, 07:36 AM
IanB
MB4

I've heard rumblings that the new model may be available with AWD, and that would be reason alone to wait and confirm. I live in Canada though, lol.

Last edited by IanB; 06-26-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:30 PM
thetunersource

ive also heard the AWD rumors
Old 06-24-2008, 10:24 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

I wouldn't count on an AWD Fit- it just doesn't make sense with the market position
Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 AM
IanB
MB4

Originally Posted by sherwood
I wouldn't count on an AWD Fit- it just doesn't make sense with the market position
Is their market position not high efficiency/high value/low cost? How would an AWD variant not improve their position? It would move them to the top of the list of the replacements for my wife's car, I would think there would be others who would appreciate AWD, especially in the northern states/Canada.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:32 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

The fit is supposed to be an entry-level car with decent gas mileage, theres still nothing entry-level about AWD. Granted they have an AWD version out in other countries, it still doesn't make sense for the states. I also wouldn't imagine that the AWD on the Fit would be that great, even though this is pure speculation on my part I imagine it to be like the first gen CR-V, pretty much just there for the sake of being called AWD

Besides the best place to bring in AWD would be to the Civic line, esp if this Toyota-Subaru collaboration comes about, it would help for Honda to have a AWD Sport Compact. This is not forgetting the fact that we'd probably need to see an Acura based AWD car before the Fit.

I also wouldn't allow myself to get caught up in the AWD hype- I've never had traction issues with my Teg as long as it had the right shoes on. I mean I wouldn't go out in the rain or snow with slippers on and not expect to get wet.

Last edited by sherwood; 07-01-2008 at 07:34 PM.