Notices

Newbie needs advise on buying a 2002 TL-S

Old 05-20-2008, 01:27 PM
AlanW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs advise on buying a 2002 TL-S

Hi everyone,
I'm new to site, and joined because I am seriously thinking of buying a 2002 3.2TL Type S, which is at the local Acura dealer.
The car has 109,960 miles on it. I believe it is too high of mileage to qualify for the Extended Transmission Warranty resulting for the lawsuit, is that right?

I called Acura claims services and they checked the VIN. They said the transmission was replaced in July 2007 at the very Acura dealership where it is now.
Should this be an upgraded transmission which I can trust?

What else should I look at on this car? Other than some small scrapes and dings, it appears to be in excellent condition. It has almost new Riken Raptor tires on it. I believe all the options and features work correctly on it.

Looking for comments and advise on buying this vehicle. I don't think I will go above $9500 for it. The dealership is "asking" $10,990 for it, but it has sat around for about 2 months out there and they have now moved it off the front line around to the back parking lot.......

Please tell me if I'm crazy to consider this or what! It sure seems to be a sweet car, but I don't want to buy something that is going to a lot of trouble.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:06 AM
AlanW

Hello....is there anyone alive out there???
I hate to be pushy, but I'm going to look at this car TODAY.....this afternoon, May 21.
I'd sure like to hear from some of you people.
Or should I take everyone's silence on this subject as a sign?
Old 05-21-2008, 06:02 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

It is hard for anyone to tell you to buy or not to buy without checking the vehicle out personally. The tranny is a hit or miss thing. I never had any problems with mine. My brother's CL-S never had a problem. So it basically comes down to if you like the vehicle or not. If so, go for it.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:10 PM
TL-Super

Originally Posted by AlanW
Hi everyone,
I'm new to site, and joined because I am seriously thinking of buying a 2002 3.2TL Type S, which is at the local Acura dealer.
The car has 109,960 miles on it. I believe it is too high of mileage to qualify for the Extended Transmission Warranty resulting for the lawsuit, is that right?

I called Acura claims services and they checked the VIN. They said the transmission was replaced in July 2007 at the very Acura dealership where it is now.
Should this be an upgraded transmission which I can trust?

OOPs just noticed the thread is a wee bit old.

What else should I look at on this car? Other than some small scrapes and dings, it appears to be in excellent condition. It has almost new Riken Raptor tires on it. I believe all the options and features work correctly on it.

Looking for comments and advise on buying this vehicle. I don't think I will go above $9500 for it. The dealership is "asking" $10,990 for it, but it has sat around for about 2 months out there and they have now moved it off the front line around to the back parking lot.......

Please tell me if I'm crazy to consider this or what! It sure seems to be a sweet car, but I don't want to buy something that is going to a lot of trouble.
You should be able to trust the tranny since it was replaced only last year. If it's in good running order and shape otherwise, it sounds good IMO. Offer the $9500. I paid 12.5 K a year ago with a little higher mileage.

Last edited by TL-Super; 05-26-2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: OOPs
Old 05-27-2008, 09:43 AM
AlanW

Default Thanks guys!

But turns out it doesn't matter. I watched and waited on that car for 6 weeks waiting to get my money right and for them to get desperate to sell. The very day I went in to test drive & make a deal.......some woman was buying it at that very moment

But also turns out she paid over $10,000 for it......so.....I guess I'll look for another one. And I have noticed in the past 2-3 weeks, since gas went up, the market for cars that get decent to good gas mileage has gone from a buyers market to a sellers....