Notices

1990 distributor replace

Old 05-12-2008, 02:32 PM
jessegriffith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 distributor replace

I need some help removing and replacing a distributor for a 1990 Honda Accord SE. I have a new distributor but i need to know the process with which to replace it. Any help is much appreciated, Thank You very much.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:39 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Piece of cake, but you'll need a timing light to adjust spark timing.

Unbolt the distributor, probably 3 bolts. Notice the blade on the end of the distributor shaft is offset a little bit, so it's only supposed to fit one way.

Put a little oil on the new distributor's O-ring so it doesn't tear when you put it in. Spin the new distributor's shaft so the offset blade fits. If you get it backwards, it IS possible to force it in. It should slide in nicely.

Adjust your spark timing. I think the timing marks are on the flywheel, so you remove a rubber plug in the bellhousing. Hope someone chimes in, because I'm not real sure about the timing on a '90.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:46 PM
jessegriffith

ok at risk of sounding like a total idiot, what's a timing light?
Old 05-14-2008, 01:59 PM
JimBlake

No prob...

It's a special strobe light that goes off with the spark plug. You shine it at the timing mark so it freezes the position of the timing mark at the exact instant when the #1 spark plug fires. You watch that as you adjust the spark timing.

Check AutoZone or someplace like that. It looks like a goofy flashlight with a pistol grip & a bunch of wires to connect to your car.

The distributor controls exactly when the spark plug fires. The idea is you're adjusting the distributor so it fires at the correct time.

If you don't do that you'll either get bad gas mileage, or you'll fail your next smog test. Or possibly (but not likely) you'll burn a hole in a piston.

Look for a DIY on adjusting spark timing, someone's probably already written some good instructions.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:46 AM
jessegriffith

thank you very much i'll try it and i'll let you know how it goes

Last edited by jessegriffith; 05-17-2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:06 PM
jessegriffith

Thank you so much. Distributor is all installed and working like a dream. Though i do have a question... I replaced it and all but the distributor on a 90 accord is actually attached to the back end of the motor directly to the camshaft. Is it a mechanically driven distributor, i always thought the car's computer ran it...
Old 05-19-2008, 05:54 AM
JimBlake

It's a mechanically driven distributor. The spark timing is controlled by the computer.

The working spark timing is controlled by the computer, based on the 3 magnetic sensors (CKP, CYP, & TDC) down in the distributor. You've set the base timing (right?), using a timing light.

The computer actually fires the spark plug according to it's spark map, generally before the base timing. At higher rpm & larger throttle-opening, the actual spark timing is more & more advanced. The computer does the job of old-school vacuum advance & centrifugal advance mechanisms. But the job of 'distributing' the spark to each of the 4 spark plugs is still done by the rotor spinning inside the distributor cap.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:21 PM
jessegriffith

oh ok,thanks. as for the setting the timing, no i didn't i looked up a how to, but the distributor only fit in one way it a very close fit, and its working. I know i'm a car noobie but is it really bad if its working well enough to get 30+mpg and the car starts on the 2nd to 3rd crank?
Old 05-19-2008, 08:00 PM
JimBlake

Generally, too much advance makes the car run better, but potentially leads to burned pistons & valves. I don't know whether your 1990 has a knock sensor to protect against that.

You say it's a close fit, but I'm talking about rotating the distributor. Each of the mounting tabs (where the bolts fit) are slotted. Loosen the bolts & you can spin the distributor back & forth a bit. That's the range of adjustment - working within that range you still should adjust it properly to the exact position.

Last edited by JimBlake; 05-19-2008 at 08:03 PM.