Notices
Other Honda & Acura News Automotive news from around the globe.

Readers's Rides - April 2008 Grassroots

Old 05-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Readers's Rides - April 2008 Grassroots

Readers's Rides - April 2008 Grassroots
ALMOST A FEATURE
Who/What/Where:
Ian Gill; '00 Integra Type R; Flagstaff, Ariz.
The Goods:
Outside it's all business. Ian's Type R is fitted with OEM JDM fenders, a VIS carbon-fiber hood and replica bumper and an Integra SiR brake light cover. DC5 Type R decals and a rear hatch badge round it all off, complementing the 15-inch Volk Rays TE37s shod with corresponding ADVAN Neova rubber. The inside is just as good and includes red carpet and JDM goodness galore-like floor mats, an armrest eliminator, rear seats, sunvisors and more. Driver inputs translate through an NRG steering wheel/quick release hub combo.
But it's all about the engine, where you'll spot a mildly modified B18C5 matched with a Fujita air cleaner and Top Fuel Power Chamber carbon-fiber intake, AEM pulleys, a Megan 4-into-1 header, Omni Power test pipe and Kakimoto 3-inch exhaust system. The not so obvious includes a Hondata intake manifold gasket; ARP head studs; Skunk2 valves, springs and retainers; bronze valve guides and a ported/polished top end to go with it.
Prothane engine mount inserts keep the B from wobbling uncontrollably and Ground Control coilovers paired with Tokico Illumina dampers do the same for the chassis. Further restraint comes in the form of a TEIN rear strut brace and a one-off C-pillar bar.
How It Went Down:
Ian picked up the Type R in 2002, which was already fitted with the JDM front. He tells us it was fate. During a McDonalds run for the wife he spotted the R from what he says was "a good mile away" parked outside a Subaru dealership. Modifications came slowly and carefully the first year and then disaster struck-cylinder number two lost all semblances of compression and then an amateur mistake by the shop left with the task of replacing the burnt valve required Ian to have the head yanked yet again. Tired of jerking around, Ian replaced the entire top end, complete with Skunk2 internals and a port/polish job. Ian also tells us of the shoddy workmanship elsewhere. He replaced the speaker-wired headlight wiring with the proper gauge and grade among a number of other minor yet offensive details. So what's Ian got to say now? "I really feel that I rescued the R and in a lot of ways it rescued me. I've done 100 percent of the work myself along with the help of my brothers Trevor, Kevin and Beau and with the understanding of my wife and motivation of my son Mattix."
Love and Hate:
What can we say, there is no hate for this Type R. We especially like how well-rounded Ian's R is, not skipping a beat between the Megan header, front-end conversion, Ground Control suspension and Advan rubber.

Who/What/Where:
Dave Tormey; '98 Integra GS-R;West Windsor, N. J.
The Goods:
Self-proclaimed, long-time HT subscriber, Dave Tormey, tells us his dream is to have his first car, a Milano Red 'teg, featured in Grassroots before he sells it. No problem, Dave. Especially since you've got the mods to back it up. Dave's B18C1 is mildly beefed up with a DC Sports 4-into-1 header, AEM cold air intake and GReddy EVO II exhaust. Besides an ITR valve cover, a Skunk2 battery tie-down and plug wire cover, as well as some NGK bits, most of Dave's attention is directed elsewhere. Yokohama-wrapped, polished 16-inch Rota Slipstreams sit in front of Brembo slotted/drilled rotors sandwiched in between Hawk pads. Tokico coilovers perch the Integra off the ground while the rest of the suspension is complemented with an ITR rear antiroll bar, a Skunk2 rear lower tie bar and control arms and a Mugen front upper shock tower brace. Dave made subtle changes to the exterior, like shaved emblems and front bumper plugs, 20 percent tint on the rear windows and a rear wiper delete using the factory Honda plug. The inside's out- fitted with a Skunk2 aluminum shift knob, ITR shift boot and a grip of Alpine goodies like a 12- inch subwoofer, 500-watt amp and, of course, an Alpine head unit. Dave says his system was tested at 139.4 decibals.
Love and Hate:
We love the DC2, especially Milano Red ones. Besides, what's not to like about a guy and his first car?
Who/What/Where:
Will Liu; '94 Civic hatchback; Auckland, New Zealand
The Goods:
This hatch's heart is supplied in the form of a JDM-spec, OBD-II B18C paired with an LSD-equipped S80 gearbox. Horsepower is bumped the right way with a Skunk2 intake manifold, a Pro1 4-into-1 stainless steel header and a DIY air box and ducting courtesy of Will himself. Nology HotWires and Silver plugs ensure important things like combustion occur properly and a Spoon oil catch tank, well, catches oil. Underneath Will fitted the EG with TEIN HA coilovers and a Beaks lower tie bar in the rear. Cusco reinforcement bars are also on call at both shock tower locations and underneath the front. OEM Type R antiroll bars are on duty at both ends as well. All is brought to a halt with Prelude BB4 brake calipers and 280mm slotted rotors mated with Hawk pads and aided by Goodridge steel braided lines. Residing on the corners are 15x7 Blue Fox wheels that complement the hatchback's freshly applied Pearl Black paint.
Love and Hate:
Limited-slip gearboxes are always good. We're also diggin' the Pro1 header and Prelude caliper swap.

Photo Gallery: Readers's Rides - April 2008 Grassroots - Honda Tuning Magazine

Read More | Digg It | Add to del.icio.us

More...